Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for tire recommendations........300M special

Ok, where's the bar?

Default Looking for tire recommendations........300M special

Looking to see what others are using for the 18 inchers.

I'm looking for something quiet, directional, affordable and with a treadwear rating around 400 (200's just wear out too quick....). I'm looking at the Primacy MXV4 tires, Michelin's Grand Touring All-Season tires, but the treadpattern is putting me off (I prefer directionals). But a treadwear rating of 620 is very persuasive........

The Michelin® Pilot® Sport A/S look pretty goog, and the treadwear is still a 400...........

Anyone have a recommendation?

Cheers
    Last edited by Great White; 04-18-2008 at 01:38 PM.

2000 Intrepid R/T freezingbelow's Avatar

Well my 2 pilots are still for sale....lol

It no longer matters

I have General directionals on my Special wheels, found them excellent in the snow, softer ride than the michelins, no road noise.
    They say "EXELAIM - UI-IP " on the side - have no idea what that means, but it is the second set I have found around here that had them on.

Just another "unique" Intrepid......

I love my Bridgestones potenza 960 as pole postions, me and somebody else here has them, there great tires, i have 12K on mune right now and still look like new, good ride and handling, seem real good in snow also,, plus a 40K mileage warranity (rare for a 245-45-18)

Resident F1 LH driver LOUD02Special's Avatar

The Pilot Sports that came factory are GREAT tires, but get noisy after about 35k or so. Handle fantastic. Not sure what's next for my rims, if I stay with them. This is the last year I'll be getting out of the stock ones that came originally.
    Carlisle 2007 "Most Unique Modification"
    Carlisle 2008 "Best Custom Interior" "Best Custom Exterior"

Past - 2002 300M Special
    Present - 2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited

Ok, where's the bar?

looking at a set of Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105's.

Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105

The local dealer is quoting $990 cdn for all four, installed, balanced and all taxes/fees in.

Treadwear rating of 440, not bad. (For reference, the
    stock pilots are rated at 220)

"w" speed rated (149+ mph if memory serves)

Directional and all season.
    They even have the "extra load" rating which makes for a better carcass construction (and extra load rating is always good with a larger car like the 300m)

$990 is pretty good for a set of 18's around here. The reviews don't seem that bad nd quality has come up quite a bit for hankook's since michelin bought a 10% share in the company. Heck, any tire that claims a "w" speed rating has to be pretty good..........

Ross, they're Exclaim UHP's. The UHP stands for ultra high performance.

All "w" rated tires are classified as UHP's.

The hankook's are a pretty strong front runner for the special right now.......
    Last edited by Great White; 04-18-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Hancock,, the OE tire of Kia,,,

Ok, where's the bar?

Yo, Tom.............

You know the tires that come OE on a car are nothing but a crap production run.....

OE's usually specify thier own specs for tires and they usually wear out quickly and have low tread depth righ tout of the box to save cash..........

I haven't had a set of OE tires last more than a couple years. Turn around and buy the "same" tire aftrmarket and get 5 years out of it......

Plus, with the "XL" rating, it's like an 8 ply tire.

Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on these suckers.....................
    Last edited by Great White; 04-19-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUD02Special View Post
    The Pilot Sports that came factory are GREAT tires, but get noisy after about 35k or so. Handle fantastic. Not sure what's next for my rims, if I stay with them. This is the last year I'll be getting out of the stock ones that came originally.
    I hope you're not talking about the same tires that came stock on the R/T's! Those tires were TERRIBLE. They wore out WAY too fast, and didn't grip worth shit!

I need tires soon........but going with summer 20" tires. Probably gonna give the Nexen N3000's or Lexani N3000's (same tire, different name printed on the side) a hard look! For all seasons.........IDK, I keep hearing great things about Goodyear Tripletreads. Also heard great things about General Exclaim's.

Actually, for all seasons, I think I'll try for the General Exclaims.
    Last edited by Avenger; 04-19-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Rob 2002 Chrysler Intrepid R/T (modded), 1999 Chrysler LHS (loaded), 2006 Honda Civic DX Coupe (base)
    March 2008 Car of the Month! R/T - 2006 IM Best of Show! LHS - 2008 Carlisle "Unique Car" award

Ok, where's the bar?

few more possibles:

Falken Ziex ZE-912 Tires

Rated very high by consumer reports. thier number one choice

General Exclaim UHP

Still looking at teh generals, 1010tire rated them right around the hankook's.
    Consumer report puts them at #4 compared to the hankook's at #9........
    Plus, Ross endorses them, which carries weight with me.

Quick comparo of my options:
    1010 tires.com

Consumer reports:

Tires Tested
    Ultra High Performance All-Season
    Ultra High Performance Summer Only

Test Vehicle and Tire Size
    Audi A3 3.2L
    225/40ZR-18

In this latest tire test, Consumer Reports (CR) magazine, pages 58-61, tested 21 sets of UHP Summer only, and 15 sets of UHPAS tires. Prices for both types ranged from US $80 to more than US $200 apiece for the size tested. The all-season tires give up some performance capabilities in return for better winter driving characteristics.

As usual, CR, along with outfits such as Tire Rack and Discount Tire, recommend that replacement tires have the same or greater speed capability as the OEM tires that came with car.

Tire ratings are ranked in terms of overall score (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent) for the following categories: Dry braking and Handling; Wet braking, handling and hydroplaning; Noise; Ride; Rolling resistance and Tread life. For all-season tires, Snow traction and Ice braking are also scored. CR recommends that prospective buyers concentrate on handling, braking and hydroplaning scores in the ratings while letting ride, comfort, noise ,tread wear and rolling resistance be tie breakers.

UHPAS Tires
    1. Falken Ziex ZE-912
    2. Nitto Neo Gen ZR
    3. Yokohama Advan S4
    4. Falken Ziex ZE-512
    5. General Exclaim UHP
    6. Continental ContiExtremeContact
    7. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    8. Kumho ECSTA ASX
    9. Sumitomo HTR +
    10. Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
    11. Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position
    12. Toyo Proxes 4
    --
    15. Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105

Not all tires are listed. See the article for more information and detailed score results.

CR includes a Quick Picks recommendation that suggest models that offer specific strengths suitable for individual needs. According to CR, "The all-season ultra-high-performance tires did reasonably well in wet and dry braking and handling, and some were quite respectable in snow and on ice. Higher-scoring tires provided the best balance."

Best UHPAS tires overall:
    1. Falken Ziex ZE-912
    2. Nitto Neo Gen ZR
    "These were essentially tied, and both offered impressive wet and dry braking. While only fair in snow, they're far better than any summer tire."

For more winter traction:
    6. Continental ContiExtremeContact
    9. Sumitomo HTR +
    "These trade ultimate dry and wet grip for better traction in snow. The Continental and Sumitomo did as well in the snow as a dedicated winter tire used as a control in our test."

The 12th ranked Toyo Proxes 4 was found to be a particularly noisy tire.

UHP Summer Only
    1. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    2. Pirelli P-Zero
    3. BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2
    4. Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A Pole Position
    5. Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
    6. Continental ContiSportContact 3
    7. Dunlop SP Sport Max
    8. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    9. Kumho Ecsta SPT
    -- See posts #3, 4 and 5
    11. Toyo Proxes T1R
    12. Falken FK-452
    13. Yokohama Advan Sport
    --
    16. Hankook Ventus SI evo K107

Not all tires are listed.

Quick Picks
    According to CR, "Most summer ultra-high-performance tires did well in three-season performance. The top-rated Michelin and Pirelli summer tires set high standards for traction and grip."

Best UHP summer tires overall:
    1. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    2.Pirelli P-Zero
    "Nearly tied overall, both provide stellar dry and wet grip and handling. The Michelin excells in hydroplane resistance; the Pirelli had an edge in handling."

Other good choices for summer tires:
    4. Bridgestone Potenza RE 050
    5. Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
    6. Continental ContiSportContact 3
    8. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    "All were very good to excellent at braking and handling. The Bridgestone was excellent in hydroplane resistance. The Michelin scored very well in tread life. Excessive noise for the 3rd-ranked BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2 and average dry braking for the 7th-ranked Dunlop SP Sport Maxx eliminated those tires as Quick Picks."

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by Great White; 04-19-2008 at 11:45 AM.