Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 95 Intrepid, 3.3 - Wants to stall at lights or when going slow.

Default 95 Intrepid, 3.3 - Wants to stall at lights or when going slow.

Another (former) Intrepid Owner told me about this site last week...I'm also over at the other Intrepid site.

I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES - 3.3 - 155,000 Miles. Recently I was having some issues with long crank times with poor initial idling. I changed out various items (Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Throttle Positioning Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, and Fuel Pressure Regulator) until that problem went away. I believe the Camshaft Position Sensor was the solution to the long crank times with poor initial idling problem - as it now starts up each time within 1-2 seconds.

While I was having the previous problem, another problem/issue crept up on me within the past few weeks and comes and goes at will.

As I approach a stop sign or light, my engine RPM's well momentarily drop to stalling and surge back on - of course this causes a slight bucking and the car will lurch or surge a little forward. As I anticipate something like this occurring, I will put it in Neutral and the idle will go back to 800 and be perfectly fine. As soon as the light turns green, I shift it back to drive and it starts to surge again as I apply gas and it seems to go aways as I get up to speed - until the next stop light or coasting without applying gas.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could cause this type of surging/stalling while in Drive or Reverse, but not in Park or Neutral?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    1995 Dodge Intrepid ES - 3.3 - 155,000 Miles

IAC (Idle Air Control), clean or replace.

Intake gaskets?

Also Fuel Injector O Rings may be bad causing the idle issue.

And also on a another note, Malfunctioning EGR system has been known to cause some smiler issues also.

Reasons why it only does it in Gear, engine has a load on it. In Park or N it does not.
    AutoX, Road Atlanta, Tail of the Dragon..What's Next?

Eagle's Sig

It could also be the MAP sensor as well going out..
    The Misfit

i had a similiar problem way back when and when diggin around the engine bay and i noticed the egr valve transducer was melted. i replaed the hole egr valve and the problem went away. shortlie after that the car started doin it again and i havent been able to track it down were it only does it when it wants to and i cant reproduce it. i would starrt with the egr valve first and then go from there

Quote Originally Posted by EagleESi View Post
    IAC (Idle Air Control), clean or replace.
    Intake gaskets?
    Also Fuel Injector O Rings may be bad causing the idle issue.

And also on a another note, Malfunctioning EGR system has been known to cause some smiler issues also.

Reasons why it only does it in Gear, engine has a load on it. In Park or N it does not.

Were you referring to all suggested parts being susceptible while in gear or only the EGR?

Quote Originally Posted by jradams350 View Post
    It could also be the MAP sensor as well going out..
    If it was the MAP sensor, would it not be an issue when in Park or Neutral as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryEmotionz View Post
    i had a similar problem way back when and when digging around the engine bay and i noticed the egr valve transducer was melted. i replaced the hole egr valve and the problem went away. shortly after that the car started doing it again and i haven't been able to track it down were it only does it when it wants to and i cant reproduce it. i would start with the egr valve first and then go from there
    What exactly were your time lines? Is this something you've been living with for weeks, months, or years?

I was also thinking of a vacuum leak possibly somewhere - but if it was that, than I would expect that to happen when in Park or Neutrul as well???

The items I named were all suspect parts that may cause your issue. I personally would start with cleaning the IAC motor, then start with the cheaper of the replacement parts then work your way up.

If you reside anywhere close to Daytona beach I'll be happy to help.
    AutoX, Road Atlanta, Tail of the Dragon..What's Next?

Eagle's Sig

The parts you have already replaced seem to pretty much rule out the ignition and fuel systems, though not entirely. My first impressions after reading the symptoms were IAC and EGR, so start with those as has already been suggested.
    94 Dodge Intrepid -- 200k (sold)
    00 Olds Alero -- 140k
    99 Honda Civic -- 222k
    96 GMC K1500 -- 150k

On this mornings ride to work (10 miles long, approx. 45 mph avg speed - two stop signs with six stop lights), the car ran perfectly fine. At each stop sign and stop light, the car decelerated just fine and idled at approx. 550 RPM's. Acceleration was fine as well.

As to the IAC:

I took out the IAC a couple of weeks ago and cleaned what I could with Throttle Body Cleaner. Frankly, other than age discoloration, I did not see any crap on the IAC or anything that stood out as being dirty. My cleaning did nothing more than shine up the spring around the IAC. I did not try to push the IAC plunger in or out because I believe that could damage it. Is playing with the plunger part of the cleaning?

Someone else at work mentioned EGR as a possibility too. Is the EGR something that could only be susceptible in Drive or Reverse but not Neutral or Park?

Speaking of the EGR, where is it located? A quick look this A.M. at the part online and my Haynes manual only showed a picture, not any description of where it was located. I looked at the engine and think it looks like it is at the back of the motor under the Throttle Body???
    Last edited by jlrohio; 11-19-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrohio View Post
    Speaking of the EGR, where is it located? A quick look this A.M. at the part online and my Haynes manual only showed a picture, not any description of where it was located. I looked at the engine and think it looks like it is at the back of the motor under the Throttle Body???
    Yes.
    94 Dodge Intrepid -- 200k (sold)
    00 Olds Alero -- 140k
    99 Honda Civic -- 222k
    96 GMC K1500 -- 150k

Thanks for the confirmation...

I found a great guide to the EGR system up on Autozone's web site...

( I can't post links yet - but here it is if anyone wants to cut/paste)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?chapterTitle=Emission+Contr ols&partName=Driveability+%26+Emissions+Controls&p ageId=0900c1528006aa87&subChapterTitle=Exhaust+Gas +Recirculation+System&partId=0900c1528006aa71

---------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, do we have a way to get scan codes out of our OBD1 system with a DBRII tool or only the key dance?

Of, I forgot to add to my Original Post. I have no CEL codes in memory with the key dance nor does the CEL light come on when I'm having the problem.