PDA

View Full Version : Factory Infinity Sound!

SilverSpecial6.1
09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Well, a few members have asked me about the infinity sound system and the differences between them. I was asked in a recent thread to make a post about them, so here goes!

Speakers:

ALL infinity sound systems have the following:

1 spatial imaging 2.5" midrange center speaker.
2 2.5" "Two Way" high/midrange sail speakers
2 6.5" Midrange low frequency front door speakers
2 6x9" (low frequency in the Infinity II setup, full range in the Infinity I)

Infinity II add's 2 2.5" midrange rear door speakers.

These speakers are 2ohm and are extremely cheap! The front door speakers tend to dry out and rip the glue that holds the woofer to the speaker structure. The sail speakers have a tendency to chirp when they go bad. I haven't had any issues myself with the rear deck speakers, but I know of members that have, they usually start to crack then just die all together.

This can be solved by replacing the speakers with new aftermarket speakers such as Infinity, Infinity Kappa and JBl. It looks like the "Harmon" group is going to a 2 ohm magnet. Which is what our cars use, so using them will not affect sound quality. It will improve it! Don't use a speaker that is rated at 4ohm. It will sound crappy and over time damage the crossovers in the amp.

List of infinity amps:

infinity II Spatial Imaging 240 watt amp:

This amp was standard in the 300M and LHS and optional in the Intrepid and Concorde:

Part numbers:
4760 293AD- 4760 293AF

Infinity II Spatial Imaging 360 watt.

This amp was an option in the 300M, the LHS has a different part number:

4760 902AB - 4760 902AD

Infinity II Spatial Imaging 360 "Power Premium"

4760 688AC Available in the 99-01 LHS as well as the 02+ Concorde Limited but with revisions AD and AE (I need to get my hands on these) There was also an AB version which would be EXTREMELY rare as it is only listed in the 98 parts catalog.

Differences:

Infinity 240:

AD and AE revisions:

The 240 watt amp is a pretty decent amp. Its a 7 channel amplifier that powers what Chrysler called "Nine Speakers in Seven locations." They got 9 as the sail speakers have two speakers in one. The AD and AE in my opinion have the exact sound quality which is pretty decent, but it lacks tight bass response and can sound muddy on certain tracks. The amps crossover was tuned to send a good amount of lows to the front speakers and at higher volume levels creates distortion to the front doors. The AF revision fixed this problem, but takes away from the front stage and puts almost all of the bass to rears which then causes the rear 6x9's to distort. At low to mid volume levels the 240 is ok.

Onto the 300M amps

The "Holy Grail" or what most people refer to it as the "AB" was a 9 channel audio system with what Chrysler called an "Eleven speakers in nine locations" again like the 240 it considers the sails two separate speakers. The difference between the 240 and the 360 is the addition of rear door midrange speakers, and a crossover for the rear deck to only allow a low signal to go to them and the rear door midrange to pick up the highs/mids. The amp has really nice sound quality and considered by most the "best" LH factory amplifier made for the 2nd gens. But I beg to differ, and will explain in a few. The AB revision equally distributes low signals to the front and rear woofers and separating the highs to the front sail and rear midrange. The center channel gets a lower output of both highs and mids. The complaints Chrysler got from customers was that it wasn't very responsive in the low's department. The bass lacked punch at the front woofers and Chrysler had the crossovers retuned.

This brings us to the "AC" revision. This revision was a HUGE mistake... Almost all the bass was sent to the front doors and almost NONE to the rear woofers. Chrysler also had a TSB on a "lack of bass" in early 02's with this amplifier. The front doors where crossed and the wires needed to be reversed at the speakers. What was happening is customers where blowing the awesome paper cones left and right so once again chrysler retuned the amplifier... The "902AC" amp is the worst amp Chrysler and infinity made for the LH. If you have one get rid of it :D

After all the complaints Chrysler brought us the "AD" revision. They turned up the gain on the lows and turned down the highs. This amp has a lot of punch at low volume levels, but sounds terribly muddy. At high volume levels, because the bass was tuned so high, it distorts the woofers and you get a really muffled sound from the sails because even the crossover for those was tuned higher for mids... It is a better amp than the "AC" but still not the "AB"

Now we come to the LHS amp. I remember when Chrysler introduced the LHS. I got a sales brochure and in the audio section it stated that the LHS had a "320 watt" audio system. This was an error on Chrysler's part. The part number 4760 688AC is called the "Power Premium 360" in the parts catalog. It is the same configuration as all the 300M amps, being a 9 channel 11 speaker system. The Front sails contained a tweeter and 2.5" midrange. The Front woofers where the same 6.5" rear door contained the 2.5" midrange and the rear deck had the 6x9 woofer's. I got ahold of one of these amp's at Carlisle and put it into the 300M and was AMAZED at the sound quality. The bass was tight, the highs where right on the money and the front door mid bass was amazing! I disconnected the sub and put the bass up and it sounded like it was still connected! At max volume it even sounds very well! (At max volume the radio cuts a bit of bass to protect the speakers) We tried this amp out in Tom's (Shadowvox) car and he can attest to the quality this amp puts out!

I had the infinity 240 in the Intrepid when I bought it. But I wanted something with more punch, and better fidelity but didn't want to install a sub or completely redo the system with aftermarket. So I played around with the amps and created my own extention harness from the kick panel to the trunk. I mounted the "LHS AC" there and have been happy with it ever since! It sounds like I have a sub in the trunk! I don't understand why Chrysler didn't just keep this amp in both the 300m and LHS from 98-04??? In my opinion it is the BEST amplifier Chrysler made for the LH line!

This amp has the same connectors but the mounts are shorter than the 300m's but you can switch the mounting plates to make it fit! You will be amazed at the sound quality!!!

As most everyone knows the "infinity" amplifier uses 2ohm speakers and replacing them with a speaker that run on 4ohm will not sound right and can damage the crossovers inside the amp. If you want to keep the factory amp and replace your speakers with aftermarket, all aftermarket infinity both reference and Kappa are now 2ohm, as well as the new JBL and other "Harmon" companies.

If you have any questions post em here or shoot me a PM!

pimp2k6
09-01-2008, 02:05 AM
That is great info. I changed my AD amp to an AB and noticed a difference but nothing to smile about. It was a bit louder with some more bass but the quality was not there. Does the LHS amp us the same plugs as the AB amp? Also are these amps hard to come by???

mnitetrain
09-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Wht speakers do we have in the rear doors of the 300M and how to get to them?

SilverSpecial6.1
09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
That is great info. I changed my AD amp to an AB and noticed a difference but nothing to smile about. It was a bit louder with some more bass but the quality was not there. Does the LHS amp us the same plugs as the AB amp? Also are these amps hard to come by???

Yes, the plugs are the same. The amps where in the 99-01 LHS so they shouldn't be that hard to find. Its in the same location as the 300M's.

What speakers do we have in the rear doors of the 300M and how to get to them?

From the factory they are just a 2.5" midrange speaker. What I have done, as well as a few others was replace them with the sail speakers so more highs come out of them. The connector must be replaced as its different but its not that difficult.

Ronbo
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Great info and detail here. Thanks. Just exchanged my AC for an AB amp and it's a very noticeable improvement. I've got a local source that has a LHS amp and will be getting that if the price is right!

iggy
09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I have been also wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the intrepid to the infinity gold system that is in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I honestly don't ever plan on upgrading it since it has such great sound and I think it is better then the infinity system that is in Intrepids. There are 6x9 woofer in the doors with 2.5 tweeter in the dash and the rear i think is 5 1/4. Sneakeyes even commented when he was in my Jeep if I had subs somewhere in it but the front door speakers where doing all the work. I even notice the rear view mirror shaking some when it is turned up some and it doesn't loose much quality. If you could switch them around so the fronts for the Jeep would be in the rear of the intrepid and the back would be in the front (I am not sure what you guys have in the 2nd gen doors) I would think it would sound really good. Just a thought if any of you want to try it and avoid taking up trunk space.

SilverSpecial6.1
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
If we could fit 6X9's in the front doors it would be like that too! The "infinity Gold" system is exactly like the LH's with the exception of the front door's being the woofers where as the woofers are in the rear in the LH. Having the 6.5's in the front door's and having them attached to the door panel itself rather than the metal part of the door doesn't help. IIRC the LH has a higher rating in the wattage over the WJ Infinity. But I don't remember. I don't know why Chrysler called it "Gold" the speakers are EXACTLY the same!

surfin_mopar
09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Good info!!
I have the infinity sound in my car.
I believe the premium..
How hard would it be to upgrade to the 360watt amp?

XRENTAL
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I have been also wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the intrepid to the infinity gold system that is in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I honestly don't ever plan on upgrading it since it has such great sound and I think it is better then the infinity system that is in Intrepids. There are 6x9 woofer in the doors with 2.5 tweeter in the dash and the rear i think is 5 1/4. Sneakeyes even commented when he was in my Jeep if I had subs somewhere in it but the front door speakers where doing all the work. I even notice the rear view mirror shaking some when it is turned up some and it doesn't loose much quality. If you could switch them around so the fronts for the Jeep would be in the rear of the intrepid and the back would be in the front (I am not sure what you guys have in the 2nd gen doors) I would think it would sound really good. Just a thought if any of you want to try it and avoid taking up trunk space.

I almost tore my Grand Cherokee apart to do this but the wife changed her mind. The Infinity Gold kills the setup in the (My 2000)R/T. She's starting to get a little nervous too becuase she knows theres a few other things I want out of it like the evic, lol.

On another note what are the best factory decks to run as well? I know when I put the cd changing head unit in it sounded as if it had a little more power but I cant adjust it enough with the 2 band eq?

freezingbelow
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
On another note what are the best factory decks to run as well? I know when I put the cd changing head unit in it sounded as if it had a little more power but I cant adjust it enough with the 2 band eq?

RB1 :)

Ronbo
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
For radios and output, I think the WJ Jeep site has a pretty good comparison chart that lists several models and their output in watts, etc.

LUISA
09-03-2008, 03:31 PM
For radios and output, I think the WJ Jeep site has a pretty good comparison chart that lists several models and their output in watts, etc.

Works like a charm!,:hurray:

Ronbo
09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Good info!!
I have the infinity sound in my car.
I believe the premium..
How hard would it be to upgrade to the 360watt amp?

You'd have to do some work. For starters the 240 watt amp is in the passengers side kick panel area under the dash. The amp is physically about a 1/3 of the size of the 360 watt amps. That means you can't put the 360 amp in the same place as the 240 amp in the Intrepid. It would have to go in the trunk as the the 300m and LHS have it. There also isn't the same mounting plate in the trunk for an Intrepid. Some people have done the upgrade and bolted the amp under the rear deck area.
And now for the part that involves the most work. You'd have to extend the wiring from the kick panel area to the trunk. Either by cutting and splicing a bunch of wires or fabricating a harness by finding the mating plugs from a junker amp/harness. Bobby should be able to fill you in on how he did it. You could save having to do 4 wires from the amp as you don't have rear door speakers.

iggy
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.wjjeeps.com/radios.htm

That is what is in the WJ's at least. But I don't think the 180W amplifier makes any sense. Though I also notice that the speakers are 4ohm. I am sure some of this information might be helpful since I would think the stock radios are the same for the LH.

LUISA
09-03-2008, 04:45 PM
And dont forget that the Jeeps had the JL-Audio upgrade available too!, ;) I was in shock when I noticed the upgrade that WAS Available to the WJ's!, ;)

iggy
09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
And dont forget that the Jeeps had the JL-Audio upgrade available too!, ;) I was in shock when I noticed the upgrade that WAS Available to the WJ's!, ;)

yes I just saw this too at the bottom. To bad I couldn't put it in mine. Mine is loaded up all the time.

XRENTAL
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
If we could fit 6X9's in the front doors it would be like that too! The "infinity Gold" system is exactly like the LH's with the exception of the front door's being the woofers where as the woofers are in the rear in the LH. Having the 6.5's in the front door's and having them attached to the door panel itself rather than the metal part of the door doesn't help. IIRC the LH has a higher rating in the wattage over the WJ Infinity. But I don't remember. I don't know why Chrysler called it "Gold" the speakers are EXACTLY the same!

I believe they do that to seperate the makes from each other a little bit. Just my thought.

In Jeep land the 4.7 is a PowerTech and in Dodge its a Magnum.

Ive seen the Radio listings on the WJ site but Im speculating that the number itself may not be directly related to the quality.

SilverSpecial6.1
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
IIRC all infinity branded Chrysler audio systems are 2ohm. Now I believe the 180 watt's is correct Adam, as the first gen Infinity was 180 and it kicks the second gen out of the water!

Best head unit sound quality would be a good tie between the RB1, RBB, RAZ and RAH

To get the 360 to work in a car that did not come with it, you have to get some of the harness from an LH that did and cut and splice. Run the wires to the trunk like I did. More info is in my sig for the trep. Now, with the 360, if you wanted to do this the rear deck speaker do not produce any other frequencies other than lows. Now mids. No highs. The rear door speakers are what do this. I had the trep high less from the rear for about a week and it sounded terrible. Then I added the tweeters and it sounds much better.

Here is how I did the rear tweeters (pic from sig):
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/97IntrepidES/IMG_0744.jpg

Self made harness (pic from sig):
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/97IntrepidES/IMG_0745.jpg

Mounted (the Amp show IS the LHS amp, but the part number on the bracket is the 902AD... I had a BITCH of a time gettin the amp out of the trunk as it was shut and the key was no where to be found. I had to get it by climbing into the trunk and didn't have the correct size ratchet... ended up using the t10 and removing it from the bracket itself... lol Ryan can attest to the bitch of getting it out, until we had the trunk "forced" open)

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/97IntrepidES/IMG_0748.jpg

SilverSpecial6.1
09-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I believe they do that to seperate the makes from each other a little bit. Just my thought.

In Jeep land the 4.7 is a PowerTech and in Dodge its a Magnum.

Ive seen the Radio listings on the WJ site but Im speculating that the number itself may not be directly related to the quality.

Marketing :D

The have to appeal to certain people. They are both manufactured at the same plant side by side, one goes into the Durango and one goes into the Grand Cherokee. Doesn't mean they are different. Just different names. Like Ford with their duratec motors. Its duratec on Ford and Mercury, but Intech in certain Lincoln motors.

Ronbo
09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Picked up one of the '99 LHS amps yesterday and will try it out tomorrow. Remember I just replaced the AC amp that was in my Special with an AB model and was impressed. If you have one of the 4760 293AC amps you're fooked! As described earlier for audio quality it's a -5! If the LHS amp is an improvement over the AB amp. I'll report back. Doesn't hurt to have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion! As far as audio and the listener there can be many variables. Thanks Bobby again for this write up.

SilverSpecial6.1
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Sweet. Can't wait to see how you feel it sounds.

shadowvox6
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Best head unit sound quality would be a good tie between the RB1, RBB, RAZ

IMO, The RAH is at least as good as the RAZ, if not better.

SilverSpecial6.1
09-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I forgot about that one! Added it to the list!

TheIntrepid
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I put the Infinity speakers and an AB 360W in the car yesterday. Sounds good, just needs subs, bad

charles
09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I have the Infinity II 360 Watt system. I don't really want an aftermarket head unit, but I want to add a subwoofer or two. Is it possible to splice in a stand alone amp+sub into the stock radio? I don't know the exact model of my radio, but it has bass/mid/treb sliders and a 4cd changer.

Ronbo
09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I put the Infinity speakers and an AB 360W in the car yesterday. Sounds good, just needs subs, bad

I'd be curious to see that install. How long did it take you to do the wiring? Got any pictures?

SilverSpecial6.1
09-08-2008, 09:37 PM

So did you swap the interior harness to make it work?

I have the Infinity II 360 Watt system. I don't really want an aftermarket head unit, but I want to add a subwoofer or two. Is it possible to splice in a stand alone amp+sub into the stock radio? I don't know the exact model of my radio, but it has bass/mid/treb sliders and a 4cd changer.

Yes, you need a line out converter and it will work. You have the RBB radio

charles
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, you need a line out converter and it will work. You have the RBB radio

Sweet! Thanks. Looks pretty simple after Google-ing a line out converter. Just splice into a speaker wire/power wire, ground it, and hook the subs up via the rca connection?

DrDodge
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
what about a first gen amp? will they plug in? or am i barking up the wrong tree?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/DrDodge/IM002547.jpg

I just see a lot of these in first gen LHS's

SilverSpecial6.1
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Don't even bother with a first gen amp... too much to change for less power

The Amp you showed a pic of was the first generation of the first gen LH. That amp shown has 120 watts of power, but has separate highs and lows for the rear deck speakers. There was a second generation Infinity for the first gen that had 180 watts but made the rear connector one full range over the black amp (2nd gen first gen amp was silver like the second gen cars) over 2 on the 120. They sounded pretty damn good, but it would be a lot of work to get it to work...

LOUD02Special
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I somewhat enjoyed my OEM Infinity. I felt it lacked "sack". I did stay Infinity with my Kappas though :)

04TrepEs
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Sweet! Thanks. Looks pretty simple after Google-ing a line out converter. Just splice into a speaker wire/power wire, ground it, and hook the subs up via the rca connection?

Or you can buy this..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-2003-CHRYSLER-CONCORDE-ADD-A-AMP-ADAPTER-LOC_W0QQitemZ180263977443QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4 506.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

charles
09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Or you can buy this..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-2003-CHRYSLER-CONCORDE-ADD-A-AMP-ADAPTER-LOC_W0QQitemZ180263977443QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4 506.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

Oh nice! If I had the money, I'd buy it right now even though I don't have any subs yet. I'll have to remember that. Thanks :)

04TrepEs
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh nice! If I had the money, I'd buy it right now even though I don't have any subs yet. I'll have to remember that. Thanks :)

I still have the factory warranty on everything so anything less of tapping into wires is for the better! That way I don't have to deal with "did this cause this and this to happen" Deal If you know what I mean

DrDodge
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I just wondered,, thanks,,

Ronbo
09-08-2008, 11:41 PM

This is what I bought. No splicing or wire cutting and completely plug-n-play. PAC LOC(Line Out Convertor). They also use the same LOC for their splice in kits.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/283/283778/pages/1044076/1001097.jpg

Ooops...I see the Ebay link is for this exact same thing! Sorry! At least my picture gives you an idea of what the real product looks like. For 2002 and later cars. They also made one with a wiring harness for 1998-2001 cars.

charles
09-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks Ron. All this info is great. Makes my audio project I have planned seem a lot easier.

DrDodge
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
ok,, got a 99 LHS today,, is the amp in the trunk? or under the dash?? or simple question,, where is the darn thing?

ok, just reread the post,, guess not all of them came with the amp,, cause the one i got dont have the amp in the trunk

Ronbo
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Some LHS and 300m models came with the Infinity I amp. The same 240 watt amp that came in the Intrepid as Premium Sound/Infinity I. The one located in the passengers side kick panel.

mnitetrain
09-21-2008, 12:07 AM

That one makes everything plug and play for 02 (RB1)+No splicing anything. Thanks again Scott!!

Also Intergrated Solutions is great to deal with as you CAN call them for specific questions and they are on top of things.

IS300M
09-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Got an LHS amp out of an 01, definitely heard the difference, well worth the upgrade.

shadowvox6
10-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Now we come to the LHS amp. I remember when Chrysler introduced the LHS. I got a sales brochure and in the audio section it stated that the LHS had a "320 watt" audio system. This was an error on Chrysler's part. The part number 4760 688AC is called the "Power Premium 360" in the parts catalog. It is the same configuration as all the 300M amps, being a 9 channel 11 speaker system. The Front sails contained a tweeter and 2.5" midrange. The Front woofers where the same 6.5" rear door contained the 2.5" midrange and the rear deck had the 6x9 woofer's. I got ahold of one of these amp's at Carlisle and put it into the 300M and was AMAZED at the sound quality. The bass was tight, the highs where right on the money and the front door mid bass was amazing! I disconnected the sub and put the bass up and it sounded like it was still connected! At max volume it even sounds very well! (At max volume the radio cuts a bit of bass to protect the speakers) We tried this amp out in Tom's (Shadowvox) car and he can attest to the quality this amp puts out!

Thanks to Shawn, and going to Canada..I have acquired one of these amps, and let me tell you....it is much more crisp and clean then even the AB Amp.
The 6x9's are no longer crossed over in this amp, and with the JBL 6x9 2-ways in the rear deck...it sounds awesome.

I called Bobby from the yard to verify I had indeed found one, it was in a 2001 LHS, and he confirmed it. Although, I was in the yard on my Motorola Q surfing this site to read this post to verify the part number!!

If you can find one, get it. It is a great upgrade!!

300maximilien
10-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks to Shawn, and going to Canada..I have acquired one of these amps, and let me tell you....it is much more crisp and clean then even the AB Amp.
The 6x9's are no longer crossed over in this amp, and with the JBL 6x9 2-ways in the rear deck...it sounds awesome.

I called Bobby from the yard to verify I had indeed found one, it was in a 2001 LHS, and he confirmed it. Although, I was in the yard on my Motorola Q surfing this site to read this post to verify the part number!!

If you can find one, get it. It is a great upgrade!!

How much is one of these (04760688AC) amps worth? I ran across one at a yard the other day and didn't grab it since I had no clue to its value.

shadowvox6
10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
How much is one of these (04760688AC) amps worth? I ran across one at a yard the other day and didn't grab it since I had no clue to its value.

I know what I paid for mine...
Look at what AB's go for, and that should be a clue.

TorontoFireCaptain
10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Well. did a bit of checking for which cars had which, and this is the result:
1998:
04760688AB 1 C Power Premium, 320 Watts, (CP) (LHS)
04760902AA 1 X, Y Power Premium, 320 Watts (Dodge & Chrysler 300M) - this is odd, since the M wasn't out yet & the parts books doesn't show a body harness with rear mount amp for Dodge)
1999:
04760688AC 1 C Power Preimum, 320Watts, (CP) - LHS
04760902AB 1 Y Power Preimum, 320Watts, (CP) - 300M
2000:
04760688AC 1 C [RDS] = LHS
04760902AB 1 Y [RDS] - 300M
2001:
4760 688AC 1 C [RDS] Power Preimum, 360 Watt - LHS
4760 902AB 1 Y [RDS] 360 Watt - 300M
2002:
2003:
04760688AD 1 C, D [RDS] - Limited
04760902AC 1 Y [RDS] - 300M
2004:
04760688AE 1 C, D [RDS] - Limited
04760902AD 1 Y [RDS] - 300M

So, the amp is available in any 98 - 2002 Concorde with the Infinity II system.

It is somewhat interesting to notice that the Concorde got a better amp the the M's did - wonder why that would be - strange.

(Spelling was Chrysler's from the parts books, not mine BTW)

shadowvox6
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
1998:
04760902AA 1 X, Y Power Premium, 320 Watts (Dodge & Chrysler 300M) - this is odd, since the M wasn't out yet & the parts books doesn't show a body harness with rear mount amp for Dodge)

European export models?
There were very early 99 M's
I wonder if that were the case.

TorontoFireCaptain
10-13-2008, 12:07 PM
European export models?
There were very early 99 M's
I wonder if that were the case.

Could be, or could have been the result of "what if" the M had been introduced in 98, because the parts book would have been written & published before the cars were put up for sale; maybe the M was delayed for some reason by a year.

Did you get the valvebody OK, with minimal "extraneous" oil?

shadowvox6
10-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Could be, or could have been the result of "what if" the M had been introduced in 98, because the parts book would have been written & published before the cars were put up for sale; maybe the M was delayed for some reason by a year.

Did you get the valvebody OK, with minimal "extraneous" oil?

Yes sir, I certainly did....the "inner box" was pretty much done for.
I repackaged it, and shipped out to the left coast for modification!!
Dan is already in the know for the installation!!

TorontoFireCaptain
10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes sir, I certainly did....the "inner box" was pretty much done for.
I repackaged it, and shipped out to the left coast for modification!!
Dan is already in the know for the installation!!

OK, good, I'll PM you with the "bill" for it and the controller as soon as I find what I did with it.

You should have seen the desk-top in the motel.
Bet they thought I had a "pleasant" night.
Amazing how that ATF can get through the 3 inner plastic bags.

FollowingNFront
11-06-2008, 02:16 AM
I just looked at my VIR... It says I have an infinity "9 speaker in 7" place system... Says I have a 240W Amp and the code for the amp is RDHP.... Can anyone tell me which amp this is?

SilverSpecial6.1
11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
You have the Infinity I 240 watt system. It was the step down from the top audio in the 300M/LHS/Concorde LTD

FollowingNFront
11-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh I thought the Infinity II was the only one to offer 9 speakers... Didnt know Infinity I offered 9 speakers as well. How hard is it to get to the factory amp in the kick panel and replace it? I found mine today but it is tucked in there very tightly

Brandontw
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, this sure is a great thread, shed a lot of light on the subject for sure, although i'm still unsure of what amp i should have in my 02 concorde limited ...

I'm gonna get in there tonight and find out once and for all.

Brandontw
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh, that amp was stupid easy to find.. I don't know why i didn't pull back that peice of carpet months ago..

Anyway, I have the 688AC infinity amp. And I feel stupid for asking this, but is this the one I want? Its the 360 watt spatial imaging amp right?

EDIT: I went back and re-Read the first page, and it seems that yes, this is the best amp of the line, which i am very happy about. Now i can just worry about replacing a few select speakers, and mabye even picking up an RB1 for the Head Unit

SilverSpecial6.1
02-26-2009, 09:00 PM
remember that if you replace speakers with aftermarket, make sure they are 2ohm! Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm and will not work properly with the amp. The new infinity's are 2ohm. Best Buy sells them, reference and kappa!

Brandontw
02-27-2009, 03:47 PM
remember that if you replace speakers with aftermarket, make sure they are 2ohm! Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm and will not work properly with the amp. The new infinity's are 2ohm. Best Buy sells them, reference and kappa!

Yup, i was aware of that, Image dynamics also makes a dang nice set that would do awesome for the front doors, but they are a bit spendy. Resonant Imaging also makes a really nice set, but they are even more expensive.

JVC makes some also, as does Kenwood, and both of those are similar in price to the infinity reference series.

Personally, Ive always though the infinity's were much to ahrsh, and lacking in midbass, so I'm looking for an alternative.

bld 25
02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Yup, i was aware of that, Image dynamics also makes a dang nice set that would do awesome for the front doors, but they are a bit spendy. Resonant Imaging also makes a really nice set, but they are even more expensive.

JVC makes some also, as does Kenwood, and both of those are similar in price to the infinity reference series.

Personally, Ive always though the infinity's were much to ahrsh, and lacking in midbass, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I agree with you on the infinities. I used to run infinity everything, and i have had many different infinity models of subs and speakers etc. I don't really care for them much anymore, and i have found much better speakers out there. Look into the alpine type x speakers. The pro's are scan-speak based, and the former version, the 177r was Vifa based. Both are excellent and use a ring radiator tweeter.

You could also VERY easily replace the factory amp and bypass it altogether. Then you could run an active system or do whatever you want. Far preferable in my opinion, but more work. Good luck!

Brandontw
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I agree with you on the infinities. I used to run infinity everything, and i have had many different infinity models of subs and speakers etc. I don't really care for them much anymore, and i have found much better speakers out there. Look into the alpine type x speakers. The pro's are scan-speak based, and the former version, the 177r was Vifa based. Both are excellent and use a ring radiator tweeter.

You could also VERY easily replace the factory amp and bypass it altogether. Then you could run an active system or do whatever you want. Far preferable in my opinion, but more work. Good luck!

I'm considering ditching the factory amp, but i hear its actually a pretty decent amp, and to be honest, I really don't want to run a power wire from the battery for a new amp, along with the RCA's. :leaving: I guess i might be able to use all the wire from the factory amp if i didn't get too much of a beast, but that's risky.

As far as the speaker reccomendations, I'd love to get some alpines, I like the Type R's and X's quite a bit, but those wont work with the factory amp...:banghead:

bld 25
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
does the factory amp have crossover? If it doesn't then there is no drawback to using a 4 ohm driver. The ohm load will change the output slightly, but it shouldn't necessitate replacing the amp. My wife's concorde is using 4ohm drivers now, and they are fine. I have mbquart Q mids and a passive crossover, and higher end vifa tweeters. It sounds great. I just used the wire that went to the mid, and then bypassed the rest of the wire and sent one directly from the crossover to the tweeter in the sail panel. If they are two ohm drivers in the factory setup, and the tweeter and the mid are both 2ohm, they are probably wired in series to get a four ohm load to the amp. If that is the case, then there will be no change in an aftermarket.

I will say I don't know all of the ohm loads of our factory system and how it is wired, but i do grow weary of all of the hype surrounding the factory system which uses simple paper and mylar designs, and the hype surrounding infinity reference speakers. There is so much better out there. However, to each their own, and what sounds good to you is what matters most.

Brandontw
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I was wondering if it was a possibility to use 4 ohm drivers or not, but it does seem like it would reduce the power output from your amp to the speakers, by half if I'm not mistaken.

And it seems like if i'm going to be using the factory amp, i need all the power i can get out of it to drive aftermarket speakers.

rknapp
03-18-2009, 11:27 PM
So, one of the '02 Specials I looked at last Saturday had an amp in the trunk, but it said "Premium" on the sail speakers instead of "Infinity" like my Intrepid did. Any idea what the sound system is for that car? Just curious is all... it had a 4-disc changer, if that helps.

TheIntrepid
03-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Infinity II I believe; as long as it has the 360W amp.

IS300M
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
As far as I know all 300M Specials had the 360 Watt Amp in the trunk. You can confirm this by looking at the rear doors to see if they have the speaker. Post 2001 cars got plastic Sail-Speakers, and they ditched the Infinity emblem in 2002 (my guess is so they didn't have to license the part from Harmon International)

rknapp
03-18-2009, 11:48 PM
*notes first mod* When I saw the "Premium" sail speaker cover I felt like I was in my 2000 base Intrepid. I checked out the system's performance and it didn't "wow" me... then again I might be used to the sound system that was in my GP... (Kappas + 700wRMS Infinity amp + 300wRMS MTX sub system).

EDIT: Checked the pictures in the ad and there are indeed speakers in the rear doors, by the handles.

IS300M
03-18-2009, 11:55 PM
*notes first mod* When I saw the "Premium" sail speaker cover I felt like I was in my 2000 base Intrepid. I checked out the system's performance and it didn't "wow" me... then again I might be used to the sound system that was in my GP... (Kappas + 700wRMS Infinity amp + 300wRMS MTX sub system).

EDIT: Checked the pictures in the ad and there are indeed speakers in the rear doors, by the handles.

Later on in production the Sail Speakers (the speaker itself) lost the tweeter and it sounded lousy.

Another common mod is to put the 2-way speakers from the sail speakers into the locations in the back doors to make it a little less "muddy" in the rear.

7urtle
03-19-2009, 12:31 AM
by standard you mean all(referring to first post).my 01 lhs has no amp .

TheIntrepid
03-19-2009, 12:37 AM

What? That's weird. You sure there isn't one inside the passenger side of the dash?

rknapp
03-19-2009, 12:45 AM
What? That's weird. You sure there isn't one inside the passenger side of the dash?

I think that's where it was in my 01 ES.

TheIntrepid
03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I think that's where it was in my 01 ES.

That's where it is in all cars that didn't have a 360W system.

My Intrepid ES had no amp though... but I'm pretty sure it was one of the few that was made to send off to police/taxi fleets (not sure why it has a sunroof though)

7urtle
03-19-2009, 12:58 AM

U mean under it or behind the side pop out peice

TheIntrepid
03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Pop out the side, there should be one tucked up inside it. I can't find a picture right now.

IS300M
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Your LHS has a factory amp somewhere. It is in one of two locations. If your LHS has speakers in the rear doors, your amp is in the trunk, behind the carpet on the right fender.

If it does not have speakers in the rear door your amp is above the passenger foot-well on the far right side of the Instrument Panel. If you take the right IP cap off, and shine a light in there, you will see a black finned amplifier.

7urtle
03-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Your LHS has a factory amp somewhere. It is in one of two locations. If your LHS has speakers in the rear doors, your amp is in the trunk, behind the carpet on the right fender.

If it does not have speakers in the rear door your amp is above the passenger foot-well on the far right side of the Instrument Panel. If you take the right IP cap off, and shine a light in there, you will see a black finned amplifier.

this the view i have
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/7urtle/car/DSC01798.jpg

IS300M
03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
this the view i have

Well that's the correct side, but it would be closer to the door hinges(if you looked more to the right and less to the left)

Here is the sketch from the service manual:
http://www.cis.umassd.edu/~u_sgeary/Misc/DashAmp.JPG

LUISA
03-19-2009, 04:09 PM
The amp is rite on the right side where the passenger would have their feet resting at, while in the passenger front seat(2- Phillip Screws holding the plastic trim down against the carpet).

rknapp
03-25-2009, 08:45 PM
When I went to see that DSB Special last Saturday, I pulled down the trunk carpet to inspect the amp. The last two characters in the serial number are AD. Is that meaningful? I remember AD and AB and such being thrown around in this thread... but I don't know why lol.

SilverSpecial6.1
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
AB is WAY better than AD, but the LHS AC is far superior. The AD is WAY to cloudy and too much bass is sent to the back speakers and they distort at even medium volume levels.

Ronbo
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
AB 360watt amp FTW! AC/AD sounds like azz! We're talking for the Special only. LHS has a different part number completely.

bigdog2k7
03-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I have an AB for sale :patriot:

OneSpecialM
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I remember thinking that the stereo sounded like crap when I test drove my Special. No bass whatsoever. My subs make up for the bass now but there's still no clarity, it sounds muddy and unclean. After reading this thread I think I'm gonna make a yard run sometime and see if I can find one of them 688AC amps....and replace the speakers with aftermarket Infinity. I've always liked Infinity.

OneSpecialM
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Then again I might say screw it because SRT-8 300C's are coming down in price now....I've seen a few in the mid $20s....I'm prolly gonna have one by summers end...lol

rknapp
03-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I thought the sound system sounded mucky when I tested it. I figured I was used to the sound system in my old GP (Infinity Kappas + 444w RMS Infinity amp, the same one Dodgeyaussie has), but the difference in output from that amp isn't very large from the stock Special amp. Gotta figure that one puts out 180 wRMS... then again it's working 8 speakers instead of four...

Ronbo
03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
I remember thinking that the stereo sounded like crap when I test drove my Special. No bass whatsoever. My subs make up for the bass now but there's still no clarity, it sounds muddy and unclean. After reading this thread I think I'm gonna make a yard run sometime and see if I can find one of them 688AC amps....and replace the speakers with aftermarket Infinity. I've always liked Infinity.

Even getting the AB 300m amp makes a marked difference. I had an AC amp in my Special when I bought it and it didn't sound well "Special"! Muddy and muted with no real bass. Had and AB amp laying around from a mod that never got completed and read this thread and swapped it out. It's a very noticeable difference. I haven't put in the LHS amp yet(went out and bought one again due to this thread) and will try it in the near future.
If you can't get your hands on an LHS amp then at least look for the 300m AB amp.

7urtle
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Even getting the AB 300m amp makes a marked difference. I had an AC amp in my Special when I bought it and it didn't sound well "Special"! Muddy and muted with no real bass. Had and AB amp laying around from a mod that never got completed and read this thread and swapped it out. It's a very noticeable difference. I haven't put in the LHS amp yet(went out and bought one again due to this thread) and will try it in the near future.
If you can't get your hands on an LHS amp then at least look for the 300m AB amp.

does it matter what lhs amp? i dont have speakers in rear door:banghead:

Ronbo
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
does it matter what lhs amp? i dont have speakers in rear door:banghead:

I thought you had an aftermarket amp wired in? If you don't have rear door speakers then you have a stock 240 watt amp in the kick panel. None of the 300m/LHS 360 watt amps are drop in for that situation. You'd have to rewire and relocate the new amp to the trunk. The 360 watt amp is around 3 times the size physically than the 240 watt. A lot of what was discussed in this thread regards replacing 360 watt amps with another 360 watt amp...not going from a 240 watt amp to a 360 watt type.

7urtle
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought you had an aftermarket amp wired in? If you don't have rear door speakers then you have a stock 240 watt amp in the kick panel. None of the 300m/LHS 360 watt amps are drop in for that situation. You'd have to rewire and relocate the new amp to the trunk. The 360 watt amp is around 3 times the size physically than the 240 watt. A lot of what was discussed in this thread regards replacing 360 watt amps with another 360 watt amp...not going from a 240 watt amp to a 360 watt type.

if it was of value i was gona sell it.

OneSpecialM
03-25-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the AB amp. I remember looking a while back.

rknapp
04-02-2009, 06:24 PM
What are the specs on the factory Infinity II Spatial Imaging 360 speakers? They're 2 ohm, but what is the RMS rating? I have an Infinity 4-channel amplifier from my Grand Prix that I was thinking of using in the special. It produces about 139x4 wRMS at 2-ohm. If the factory speakers in the front doors and rear deck can handle that, I can wire it up and solve clarity issues (leave the other speakers working on the factory 360 amp). Of course, that leaves the issue of the factory radio not have RCA outputs. I don't want to get an aftermarket radio since that would destroy the clean looks of the 300M dash, so I guess I would have to get LOCs, one for the front and one for the rear.

Then, I would need bass. My amp can handle a decent amount of bass, but I think it would be better suited to mids and highs. I have subs in my basement but I don't want to destroy my trunk space and lose the function of the folding seats. Thoughts? I can separate the subs and put one in a single 12" sealed box. Some decent ones on fleaBay. Then I would need the little bass converter that my amp came with. Giving me three devices attached to the factory radio? Four with the PAC steering wheel interface... shit.

Yeah I'm half asking and half thinking here lol.

SilverSpecial6.1
04-02-2009, 08:31 PM
If you ran that amp on those speakers they would just explode! When I had that 4 channel infinity amp in the LHS the infinity reference I had couldn't even handle it!

I ended up getting kappa's that did :D

If you want all the speakers to work, you will need two amps. One for the front stage, one for the rear. I had a system all worked out when I had the special.

rknapp
04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
LOL yeah I had it paired with Kappas in the GP. Those went with the car since I couldn't reinstall the factory speakers.

So, what if I installed Kappa rear speakers, then possible some 2.5 mids/highs for the rear doors that can handle that kind of power? I could get 4-ohm speakers in the back to run on the 111w instead of 139w, but I'm not sure if that would **** with the factory 2-ohm setting up front. I'm happy with the front stage as is, it's the rear that's pissing me off.

DrDodge
04-19-2009, 11:12 PM
my 02 special came with a "AC" amp from the factory,, tried the AB amp,, and ill let somebody have it,, went back to the ac

rknapp
04-20-2009, 12:27 AM
my 02 special came with a "AC" amp from the factory,, tried the AB amp,, and ill let somebody have it,, went back to the ac

... you going to Carlisle by chance? I might be looking for an AB in the near future (a month) since my AD sucks in the back and on bass.

Paratrepper
04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Found this on the build for my 99M
RAZP AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio RCPP 11 Infinity Speakers in 9 Locations RDSP 360 Watt Amplifier
Does that mean I have the AB?

Ronbo
04-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Found this on the build for my 99M
RAZP AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio RCPP 11 Infinity Speakers in 9 Locations RDSP 360 Watt Amplifier
Does that mean I have the AB?

Peel back the carpet on the right side of the trunk and take a look at the label. It'll be the last two characters in the part number. The label is easily visible.

Paratrepper
04-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Peel back the carpet on the right side of the trunk and take a look at the label. It'll be the last two characters in the part number. The label is easily visible.
I'll check in the AM. I also need to check the build date. According to TFC's post my amp should only be 320 amps. Maybe I got a year 2000 amp?

Paratrepper
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Got an AB. I need to check the entire model number.

swalker
04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I can bring a AB amp to Carlisle.

rknapp
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
What do those amps go for these days? I haven't decided yet if I want to just 'glass up a custom enclosure for one of my subs and throw that in the trunk.

SilverSpecial6.1
04-20-2009, 11:37 PM
if your going to stick with the factory, dont get the 300M AB get the LHS AC. It is a much better unit.

rknapp
04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Was that only in the 99-01 LHS or did the 02-04 Concorde Limited have the same amp? Maybe my neighbor won't notice his amp suddenly being swapped, hehe.

Ronbo
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
There's one 4760 688AC amp for $30 on car-part.com right now. A few at $40 and some more in the $50+ range.

rknapp
04-21-2009, 02:00 AM
There's one 4760 688AC amp for $30 on car-part.com right now. A few at $40 and some more in the $50+ range.

You know, I keep forgetting about that website. I'll have to peruse it tomorrow after I finish my lab report.

charles
04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
So I looked in my trunk yesterday and I have an AC amp. If i wanted to change to a different factory amp, would I just need to disconnect the wires from my current amp and connect them to the new amp, or would I need to rewire the speakers?

rknapp
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
So I looked in my trunk yesterday and I have an AC amp. If i wanted to change to a different factory amp, would I just need to disconnect the wires from my current amp and connect them to the new amp, or would I need to rewire the speakers?

I'm assuming they're all drop-in plug-n-play jobs. There's a couple in NY for $65 or less. Ron are those cheap ones by you? I'm not driving to Alabama for an amp lol.

SilverSpecial6.1
04-22-2009, 08:15 AM
The AC amp in your 300m is garbage. It was Chrysler's worst creation. And yes, you can swap amps without having to change wiring. its all plug and play

charles
04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I havn't heard the other amps, so I can't compare to them, but I would say my AC amp is far from "garbage." I'm sure there's better out there but I've heard far worse sounding stock stereos.

And on that note, how much do AB amps cost? Where can I get one? If they aren't too expensive I would like to get one to see how much better it sounds.

SilverSpecial6.1
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Once you hear the LHS AC amp or even the AB amp, you will understand why I say the 300M AC amp is garbage. The most I would pay for an amp would be $50

charles
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Is there a place online I could look to buy one, or is my best bet posting a WTB thread here?

Ronbo
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I have two of the AB amps for sale.

tiger54
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I just purchased a 2001 Concorde lxi and the stereo sounds crappy! The sail speakers are hard plastic and say "premium sound" on them. I do not have speakers in the back doors so I pretty much figured out from this post that I have the bottom of the line amp, not even sure if it's ANY kind of infinity amp. HOWEVER......the infinity system in my '97 sebring jxi is AWESOME!!! Can a swap be made, and how difficult would it be? Will the plugs match, are the amps different sizes, do I need to make changes at all to the wiring? I'd even like to take the speakers out of the sebring except that the 4 main ones (front door AND back) are ovals and the front door speakers in the concorde are round. I actually thought I had back door speakers in the concorde; along the bottom of the back doors is an somewhat oval carpeted area but upon inspection found there's only plastic behind that, continuous from the surrounding uncarpeted plastic. Is it worth modifying this somehow to include back door speakers or would it be too difficult? There doesn't appear to be any other area on the back door to put speakers (someone mentioned that if there were speakers in the back doors, that they'd be near the handle) All I know is the concorde sound sucks and the sebring always sounded great.

rknapp
04-26-2009, 06:03 PM
You could upgrade to the 240w Infinity system, but since you'd be getting new speakers and a new amp anyway, it's worth it to go aftermarket on the speakers, amp, and head unit. The 240w system isn't really all that spectacular. For me, I would go with the 360w Infinity-II setup (if you don't already have this, then you have a lot of work to do) with the best amp (supposedly the LHS AC amp), or go aftermarket. I personally could go either way since I have an aftermarket amp already, I would just need speakers and a head unit to go with it. I'm gonna try getting the better factory amp and maybe change out the rear door speakers first.

You know you have the Infinity II spatial imaging system if you have speakers in the rear doors, just forward of the handles, and an amp in the trunk on the passenger side. For your year, you know you have Infinity components if the sail speakers on the front doors say "Infinity".

SilverSpecial6.1
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Just remember if you change from the factory midline, to any Chrysler infinity system, you need to get 2ohm speakers!

tiger54
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all your help. I read the specs on 2001 concordes and it says I do have an amp, that all lxi's come with an amp. So should I assume that besides the infinity I and infinity II there is actually a third, generic cheapo amp and this is what I might (probably) have?

Ronbo
04-27-2009, 10:20 AM
A lot of the Infinity I systems came with the plastic sail speaker housings labeled "Premium Sound". My 2002 R/T had them and it had the Infinity system. You should have a 240 watt amp in the passenders side kick panel under the dash.

tiger54
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
In order to get to the amp near the passenger kick side area, would I have do disengage the air bag? I read a post somewhere else that said the neg on the battery has to be taken off first to disengage the air bag and then the glove box has to come out and the amp is in there. But upon reading here it seems it's not really behind the glove box at all, that it's on the side near the door hinges.

rknapp
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I've never heard of anyone disabling the airbag to get to their kickpanel amp... I've heard exactly zero stories of disconnecting the neg on the battery to disable the airbag. Airbags are designed to work without the battery, since the battery can easily be severed from the car in an accident.

Pop off the lower door trim and kick panel, the amp should be there. In fact, if you pop off the passenger-side dash access panel (open the door, there is a removable panel on the flat side of the dashpad there, just pull it off) and look down and to the right. You should see the cooling fins of the amp's case.

Ronbo
04-29-2009, 08:30 PM
If you're working on anything electrical in the vehicle it's always a good idea to disconnect the battery to prevent "accidents". In the case of our cars disconnectiong the negative cable at the post on the strut tower is the easiest way to do it.

Having said that..if you have the ignition off then the amp wouldn't have power applied to it. It can be easily removed/replaced without any worries. If you're not experienced with working around electrical items then I recommend disconnecting the battery anyway just so there's no problems.

And as far as airbags are concerned it's an electrical signal that sets them off. What was just posted about an airbag not needing any electrical power to trigger is a FALSE CLAIM! If somehow the battery became disconnected (as in a complete loss of electrical power)while you were driving down the road with absolutely no electrical power and you crashed the airbags would not trigger. The only exception to that would be a static charge that somehow managed to trigger it.

Do yourself and your car a favor and disconnect the battery while working on anything electrical to prevent any expensive "mistakes".

tiger54
04-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you everyone for all your help. I swear, I really did read on another forum that the amp was behind the glove box and to disable the airbag before going in there. But anyways, I didn't have to remove the kick plate to see the amp there on the side just forward of the door. There is enough space above the plastic to see the black fins of the amp. Now I just have one final question. Why would my '97 sebring jxi 150watt infinity system sound a thousand times better than this 240watt infinity system in my concorde? You would think 240 would be way better. There's absolutely no bass at all in the concorde. Very tinny sounding. My JXI has rich deep sound.

Ronbo
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
You won't be transplanting the JXI amp without heavy modifications. You might want to start a new thread asking about your options to get you better sound. This thread was started for info on existing LH series amps and their specs/interchangeability.

cmcruzt
07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I have a 4760 688Ad in my concorde limted 2002 an sounds great, but i want to put a deck with mp3, somebody know if you change an aftermarket deck could you connect the controls in the steering wheel these control are great and i don't want to loose it

davidlhs2000
09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
i have aftermarket front door and rear deck speakers, would it sound better if i cut the amp out.....meaning are my speakers to strong for the amp i have...i have 260 watt alpine 6.5 in the front doors and 320 watt peak in the rear deck also alpine...thanks

davidlhs2000
09-27-2009, 08:03 PM
is it possible to increase the power of the amp in a 2000 lhs if i have aftermarket speakers

SilverSpecial6.1
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
No you cannot increase the power of the stock amp.

rknapp
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Also, you shouldn't go by peak power in a speaker. All that is is a measure of how hard of a spike in power that the speaker can handle without breaking. Go by the RMS power of speakers, subs, and amplifiers.

rknapp
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm starting to look into improving my stock audio system even further and have a simple question.

I have the LHS "AC" amp in the car, which is great. Now I want to upgrade the speakers. Ultimately I'm going to replace entire audio system with a new DD nav unit, new speakers, and new amps.

First question: I'm looking at going foot to the floorboard out of the gate and installing Kappa speakers all around. 6.5" woofers in the doors, 1" tweeters in the sail panels, 6"x9" 2ways in the rear deck. Mounting, for the most part, won't be an issue (will need to mod the sail panels and will probably need Brian's brackets for the 6.5s) but I'm concerned over power delivery. The 360 amp isn't exactly powerful, considering it's sending that power to nine speakers. The Kappa speakers are historically power mongers, as I found in my GP. Does anyone think tossing them in my 300 will cause problems like that? I don't want cheap speakers, like Polk, Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, etc. My ultimate goal is a Kenwood DD nav receiver and Infinity Kappa everywhere else.

The second question has to do with amp. Even if I drop in the speakers now and it sounds fine, I want to send more juice to them. That means I will be looking at Kappa amplifiers. I'm envisioning five scenarios.

1. I can get a single Kappa Five amplifier, and split the "front" channels between the doors (sail panels and rear doors) and split the "rear" channels between the front and rear woofers, then have the fifth channel going to a subwoofer.

2. I can get a single Kappa Four and a single Kappa One, using the Four to do that splitting and the One for a subwoofer.

3. I can get two Kappa Fours and one Kappa One, where the first Four covers the front soundstage and the second covers the rear soundstage and the One obviously controls a subwoofer.

4. I can get a single Four and a single One, throw 6.5" woofers with concentric tweeters in the front doors and 6"x9" two ways in the rear deck, run them with the Four and run a sub with the One and call it a day.

OR

5. Do the same as #4, but with just a Kappa Five amplifier.

Thoughts?

4 and 5 would subtract the center channel, the sail speakers, and the rear doors speakers entirely from the equation. Great_White did that and made the good point that more speakers doesn't necessarily equate to better sound.

04TrepEs
06-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Just Picked Up the 360 AB, Going to install it soon!

IS300M
07-28-2010, 09:00 PM
figure I would toss this up on the site, just incase:

http://www.cis.umassd.edu/~u_sgeary/Misc/AmpPinouts.jpg

kimura
07-30-2010, 03:20 AM
So how much a difference is the sound quality going from Intrepid's premium sound system to an Infinity sound system with the 240W amp?

There's an LHS I got the sail speakers from at the yard, I plan to go and snoop around and see if there's this 360W AC amp in the trunk...but as I've mentioned before, I'm not very electrical savvy, so even if its there I don't know if I'd get it, because I'm not really comfortable running wires.

With that in mind, can I use the door and shelf speakers from that LHS with the 240W amp?

seedubcity
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks Ron. All this info is great. Makes my audio project I have planned seem a lot easier.

i worked my way thru college @ a high-end stereo shop & i didnt leave much in school. but i did leave something very important about installing a good quality system (while retaining the factory head unit).
please do some reasearch to confirm my claims, because the price you pay for what im about to tell you about, may seem a little high. but it's not only worth every penny, its also expandable (in case u ever decide to expand).
$150-$250 for an AudioControl LC6 , LC7i , or even a EQS or EQX which allows u the option of adding a Aftermarket head unit (sometime down the road).
the short of it is, these AudioControl units offer up to 8-13volts pre-output (this keeps the channels u've tapped into keep from loosing power that is normal delivered to them) also, using speaker wire to addapt to rca causes radical lose of SQ. these units allow you to balance the voltage into the AudioControl unit & also out as well. the EQS & EQX allows u to add the abillity to adj the EQ.
good luck

tbaaqeel
08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
i have a 2001 lhs, and originially it came with the AC amp that everyones all hyped about. Now my amp blew, and i have an aftermarket clarion double din head unit that the speakers are now running off of; ie the amp is bypassed. My sound quality is pretty good as i have left the stock tweeters in and replaced the drivers with kicker 2 ways in the rear, and jbl 2 ways in the front. would it make sense to put in another ac amp whcih i have access to, or should i leave it the way it is. If the ac amp will make a difference in sound quality compared to what i have now i'll put it in is what im tryna get at.. lemme know

dmondeac
08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I just got a 688AC amp to replace my 902AB amp just to see if there is really a difference. I have already replaced the front factory 6.5's with new infinity speakers and I am thinking about replacing the rear deck 6x9's with new infinity's as well. I am toying with the idea of an LOC so i can add a couple of sub for a little extra bottom end. Hope fully this will kick up the sound for when I add the DVD player.

dmondeac
08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Just installed the 688AC amp OMG dies this thing sound great! Much tighter sound. Next up a line out converter and a couple subs ( just happen to have a pair of Kicker competition subs lying around)

Intrep_ED
10-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Just scored an LHS "AC" amp from the yard. Figured I'd bump this very helpful thread. Thanks for the info Bobby and the rest of ya's!

figure I would toss this up on the site, just incase:

http://www.cis.umassd.edu/~u_sgeary/Misc/AmpPinouts.jpg

^^^This........ is VERY helpful! :coolgleamA:

RogueCow
11-15-2010, 01:14 AM
WHOA, new info is AWESOME

So i just realised i made a huge mistake in my speaker wiring... I have the premium infinity 2 system with the 360W amp in the back and didn't even know it!! I bypassed the amp and straightwired my rear 6x9's to my aftermarket deck. This eliminates all rear channels coming from the amp (rear doors were blown)... I also replaced my blown fronts with 4 ohm JBL GTO's, YIKES.

Looks like i have a great ammount of Re-Wiring in my future....

P.S, will the signal from a deck with a built in amp harm the infinity amps in any way???

gearhead291
07-11-2011, 06:27 AM
1998:
1999:
04760688AC 1 C Power Preimum, 320Watts, (CP) - LHS
04760902AB 1 Y Power Preimum, 320Watts, (CP) - 300M
2000:
04760688AC 1 C [RDS] = LHS
04760902AB 1 Y [RDS] - 300M
2001:
2002:
2003:
04760688AD 1 C, D [RDS] - Limited
04760902AC 1 Y [RDS] - 300M
2004:
04760688AE 1 C, D [RDS] - Limited
04760902AD 1 Y [RDS] - 300M

So, the amp is available in any 98 - 2002 Concorde with the Infinity II system.

It is somewhat interesting to notice that the Concorde got a better amp the the M's did - wonder why that would be - strange.

(Spelling was Chrysler's from the parts books, not mine BTW)

sorry to dig up such an old thread, but whats this about the infinity II amp not being 360W until 2001? ive got a 99 LHS amp.and according to this its only 320W? i thought all infinity II systems where 360W? can someone please clear this up for me

kimura
07-11-2011, 10:42 AM
From the original post.

Now we come to the LHS amp. I remember when Chrysler introduced the LHS. I got a sales brochure and in the audio section it stated that the LHS had a "320 watt" audio system. This was an error on Chrysler's part. The part number 4760 688AC is called the "Power Premium 360" in the parts catalog. It is the same configuration as all the 300M amps, being a 9 channel 11 speaker system.

I was actually looking for this thread. I found an LHS that still has its amp and speakers. I really want to get them but I have to hold off because I need to sort out the wheel noise first. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will be there when I have some extra money still.

gearhead291
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
From the original post.

I was actually looking for this thread. I found an LHS that still has its amp and speakers. I really want to get them but I have to hold off because I need to sort out the wheel noise first. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will be there when I have some extra money still.

AH. forgot all about that. thanks

IS300M
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
sorry to dig up such an old thread, but whats this about the infinity II amp not being 360W until 2001? ive got a 99 LHS amp.and according to this its only 320W? i thought all infinity II systems where 360W? can someone please clear this up for me

There is no real way to confirm its 320W or 360W, I've even seen it marked 760W in build sheets. All the matters is that the LHS amp is superior to the 300M amp.

gearhead291
07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
There is no real way to confirm its 320W or 360W, I've even seen it marked 760W in build sheets. All the matters is that the LHS amp is superior to the 300M amp.

so, regardless of what its labeled, its all the same wattage ? ( im mean the LHS infinity II amps)

IS300M
07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
so, regardless of what its labeled, its all the same wattage ? ( im mean the LHS infinity II amps)

So at Carlisle this year I bought the 1999 and 2000 Dealer Show Room Flip books and this is what I have posted to show the 360W amp option.

1999 LHS:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282553_693770516576_41501723_35431311_6143981_n.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269814_693770461686_41501723_35431305_7639594_n.jp g

2000 LHS:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270765_693770376856_41501723_35431303_6520289_n.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269047_693770411786_41501723_35431304_3969080_n.jp g

The only reference to a 320 Watt sound system was for the Prowler:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282008_693770646316_41501723_35431313_2595653_n.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270237_693770731146_41501723_35431314_6427829_n.jp g

Also in the parts catalogs they give the same part numbers two different wattages.

1999: 04760688AC 1 C Power Preimum, 320Watts, (CP)
2001: 04760688AC 1 C [RDS] : [RDS] = 360 Watt Amplifier

Here are the sales codes for the sound systems in 2001:
[RCD] = 4 Speaker
[RCE] = 9 Speaker Infinity
[RCG] = 6 Speaker Infinity
[RCP] = 11 Speaker Infinity
[RDH] = 240 Watt Amplifier
[RDM] = 120 Watt Amplifier
[RDS] = 360 Watt Amplifier

Foxden Vixen
08-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I have a 2001 LHS with the 11 speaker system. I have owned it since Sept of 2000 when it rolled on the car lot. The right front door speaker is making an awful rattling noise so I have a feeling the speaker is going. I called the dealership where I bought the car and they want $191 for ONE speaker. the labor will be anywhere between $50 and $110. After reading through this thread I don't want to completely change out my system but looks like I will have to replace both front speakers if I purchase from somewhere else because you can't just buy one speaker. I would like to stay with Infinity but am not sure what I should purchase as I am confused about the whole 2ohm vs 4ohm talk. This is the first vehicle I have owned where I did not drop my own system in because this was pretty kick ass for factory when the car was new. Any suggestions on speakers that I can buy and have a friend who knows how install them? Thanks.

PredatoryTrep
08-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Infinity Kappa/Reference 6.5".

2-ohm, and they sound great. One is better than the other, but I can't remember which.

Also, speakers are easy. Just get some t-clamps or some wire buttons from home depot, and then insert the wires and crimp it with a pair of pliers. Done

Foxden Vixen
08-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Infinity Kappa/Reference 6.5".

2-ohm, and they sound great. One is better than the other, but I can't remember which.

Also, speakers are easy. Just get some t-clamps or some wire buttons from home depot, and then insert the wires and crimp it with a pair of pliers. Done
Thanks for the help Pred. I appreciate it. I am going to call back the dealership because I don't think the guy helping me knew what he was talking about. I will also do some more research on the Kappas and References. It would be nice to know the exact speakers that were put in when she was built even though they are probably no longer made.

Foxden Vixen
08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Ok I am a little confused by what these Infinitys look like. I found a pair of refs that have stuff on them I don't know about. What are the attachments on this and where do they go? I am used to seeing just a speaker.

rknapp
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
That's a component speaker setup... the woofer, tweeter, and crossover. You have a tweeter already up in the sail panel, by the mirror. You would use the woofer to replace your speaker. I'm not sure you can buy just the woofer, probably not.

Kappa is the higher end model and requires a decent amount of power to sound good. What the factory amp supplies is not enough, so Reference would be your best bet.

Personally, I would look up the Kicker factory speaker upgrade for the Jeep Liberty. They're drop-in for LHs, 2-ohm, and as far as I know do not require messing with the wiring, just plug in and go. Don't quote me on that last bit though... I upgraded my entire system and rewired the car lol, so I never bothered with factory upgrades.

carguygibby
10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Just scored a 4760688AC amp at my local boneyard for $12!
BIG improvement with my aftermarket Infinity speakers.
Colin

Intrep_ED
10-07-2011, 09:33 PM
You have a tweeter already up in the sail panel, by the mirror.
The factory sail speakers aren't really tweeters. They're full range speakers.

Brianreich65
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I have an '00 concorde lxi, and i replaced front door speakers with infinity 6.5", the sails with infinity tweeters, and i put a used pair of Chrysler infinitys from an Intrepid in the rear decks. MY right front door has begun chirping, and acting like it can't handle higher volume. The radio is a pioneer supertuner from Crutchfield. It's not the speaker as i swapped the left and right door speakers, and the right door speaker still does the same thing. I'm thinking it could be something with the factory amp, which i never replaced. The part # on the factory amp is 4760296AC. My question is could it be the amp causing this, and if so, can i replace the factory amp with a different/better factory amp that will be direct plug and play. If so, which part # can i replace it with? I searched e-bay for a OEM with my part #, and i can't find any. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brianreich65
10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I have an '00 concorde lxi, and i replaced front door speakers with infinity 6.5", the sails with infinity tweeters, and i put a used pair of Chrysler infinitys from an Intrepid in the rear decks. MY right front door has begun chirping, and acting like it can't handle higher volume. The radio is a pioneer supertuner from Crutchfield. It's not the speaker as i swapped the left and right door speakers, and the right door speaker still does the same thing. I'm thinking it could be something with the factory amp, which i never replaced. The part # on the factory amp is 4760296AC. My question is could it be the amp causing this, and if so, can i replace the factory amp with a different/better factory amp that will be direct plug and play. If so, which part # can i replace it with? I searched e-bay for a OEM with my part #, and i can't find any. Thanks in advance for any help.

justinr54321
10-10-2011, 07:45 PM

It is either the factory amp or the head unit itself that is causing the issue. The factory amp can be replaced with an infinity factory amp, but, you would be better replacing it with an after market 100x4, in which it will drive your after market infinity speakers better.

d.bierman
11-27-2011, 01:57 AM
I replaced my 1" component tweeters in my sails with direct-fit Power Bass 2.75" midrange-tweeters (I missed having midrange at ear-level). Would these fit directly in the center-dash speaker too? I looked at pictures and it appears to me that they would.
Also, hardwareguy (http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6875&highlight=center+speaker) said that he took positive from his left channel to the dash, and negative from his right channel to his dash. Would this be a good setup, or would I be better off making the center dash speaker the driver's right channel and the passenger having reverse-stereo?

d.bierman
12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
For the record, they fit but only one screw (out of two) lines up.. it works--no rattles, buzzing, or clearance issues. And L>C<R works pretty well to help the balance issue.
These 2.75" speakers will want high-passed though. Tried 50uF, too high, have 150uF coming.

SilverSpecial6.1
04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
So now that I am back into the LH game, and I have another car with the infinity system, I needed to upgrade my speakers. I got infinity speakers from a 2007 Dodge Durango with the infinity system. The Durango has BEEFY 6 3/4 2ohm speakers in the front and rear doors, they are mounted to a spacer that can be removed and they fit in the LH door panel. HOWEVER, you need to cut or trim the foam surround so the speaker grill will fit. They sound GREAT and have good punch.

For the rear deck I got a set of Boston acoustics 6x9s from a 2006 Magnum. They are 2OHM (Measured them myself) and have a nice cone and foam surround that reproduces low frequencies better than the infinity's can.

What was strange to me was that my factory speakers in the front doors and rear deck where actually 4ohm according to the volt meter! (And my right rear 6x9 had a hole in the cone material as if someone drilled through it-- because someone who owned it before did)

300maximilien
04-10-2012, 06:57 PM
So now that I am back into the LH game, and I have another car with the infinity system

Ummm...did I miss something?? :turned:

IS300M
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Ummm...did I miss something?? :turned:

Yeah he needs to change his name to DeepSapphireLimited

300maximilien
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Who's got pics of this Mythical Beast??

SilverSpecial6.1
04-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I posted a few on facebook. I will make a sig thread soon

:)

toshik
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
On another note what are the best factory decks to run as well?
+1 RB1 and 6 DVD T&C to play MP3

mrdsgrumpy
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
So how do I know what system I have in the 1994 lhs?? It only has the cassete player but it still works. I picked this lhs up about a month ago (71k original miles)and will be doing some work on it and i am wondering if the speakers in there are 2 ohm?? We had a 95 that had the cd/cassete player combo in it and it sounded great so i may try and pick 1 of those up to swap them out.. any help will be appreciated...

IS300M
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
So how do I know what system I have in the 1994 lhs?? It only has the cassete player but it still works. I picked this lhs up about a month ago (71k original miles)and will be doing some work on it and i am wondering if the speakers in there are 2 ohm?? We had a 95 that had the cd/cassete player combo in it and it sounded great so i may try and pick 1 of those up to swap them out.. any help will be appreciated...

Does it have the infinity logo on the front door speakers or the radio? If so you have the 2-ohm speakers.

Otherwise you would have to peel back the trunk carpet on the passenger side fender to see if the amplifier was there.

mrdsgrumpy
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Yep it has the logo on both the unit and the speakers. I did peel back the carpet but didnt see a amp there only the antenna. would the amp be in another area??

thanks for the info
Larry

IS300M
04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Yep it has the logo on both the unit and the speakers. I did peel back the carpet but didnt see a amp there only the antenna. would the amp be in another area??

thanks for the info
Larry

its on the other fender. I forgot about that.

mrdsgrumpy
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
LoL... now ya tell me.. I only messed up 1 pin but there are a few missing so i needed to fix that anyways. I also didn't realize that the antenne was broke but the motor is still working so 1 more thing I gotta fix. I will check the other side cause I wanna see which amp it has in it. the speakers are still in good shape but I really havnt cranked it up yet since i cant find my cassettes..lol.. will let you know how it all works out.
Thanks again for the help..
Larry

Foxden Vixen
04-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I am back again because I finally have some money to replace my right door speaker that rattles like mad. I called the dealership to see what the price was and it is $199.77 for part # 5081031AA. I have tried to look online for that part but the images I have seen are NOT correct. I also am thinking about replacing the sail speakers and was given the part # 4760371. Looking this up I get the dash speaker part. I am only going to own the car another couple of years and really don't want to spend a lot of money upgrading the system. Can anyone recommend door speakers that would work with the Infinity spatial system and not lose sound quality? I believe I was told earlier in this post that the door speakers are woofers only. Please help me locate something that will work without breaking the bank and will sound as good as the system did when it was new.

Craig300
04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Try these.

http://www.allusasupercenter.com/Mopar_Kicker_Front_or_Rear_6_5_Spkrs_77KICK10_p/77kick10.htm

Foxden Vixen
04-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Craig. I think I read somewhere that Kicker is a good replacement. However, your link shows other vehicles and not the LHS.

Also in the original post of this thread, it was mentioned that the sail speakers actually held 2 speakers? I found some on eBay. I am not allowed to post images or links yet so go to eBay and look for this - INFINITY TWEETER SPEAKER 05026465AA 300M LHS FRONT DRIVER PASSENGER DOOR OEM. I only see one speaker in each sail but it must do the job of two. Is this a good deal? Are they difficult to replace?

I will also check out JBL as that was mentioned in the original post as well. I guess this is not going to be an easy "plug and play" solution for one speaker going bad. :(

Foxden Vixen
04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Oh wow, I just found a site called simply speakers that shows how to replace the foam on the Infinity speaker and supplies all the needed parts. That is what has gone bad on my speaker. The foam has rotted and just needs to be replaced...maybe this is the way to go.

Craig300
04-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah, doesn't list all the vehicles, but apparently will fit them all with 6.5". There is lots of discussion on the 300M board.

Sneke_Eyez
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Foxden, those speakers Craig listed will fit your car just fine. The speakers in your car are 6.75'' size, and 6.5'' will fit just fine.
You could replace the foam if that's what you'd really like to do, but the Infinity speakers really weren't all that spectacular to begin with.
What you'd be better off to do is get some replacement aftermarket Infinity or Kicker or JBL speakers that are 2ohm and replace the two front ones.
It'll cost much less than $191 for two WAY better speakers, and you can replace them easily yourself since you've done speaker swaps before.
In the picture you posted way back in this thread, the extra components in the picture are a crossover and a tweeter. You don't have to use them, and you can also get Infinity setups without the crossover and tweeter which is probably better for your needs. (One of the members of this site, Ronbo, has some for sale in this thread: http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21327)

fromans4
04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I have a 2001 Chrysler Concorde LXi with the Infinty II Premium sound system. Mine has the 240 watt amp in the passenger kick panel. I am interested in upgrading to the 360 watt system. I found and purchased an amp thinking it was the 04760 688AC discussed in this thread only to find out when I received it that it was marked 04760 688AE! Is this a big deal? Does anyone know what's different about these two amps? I didn't pay much for it, so if I shouldn't use it I will just keep looking for the AC version.

Thanks in advance,

This is a great thread!

Sneke_Eyez
04-25-2012, 09:01 PM
That amp will work, the AC is just the best version of the 360W amp is all.
If I were you, I'd do the wiring work to put that AE into your car for now and look around until you can find an AC version amp. There is a difference between the two, the AC is definitely punchier than any other 360W Amp.

PS: Welcome to LHF!

Adpros
04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
this thread is gonna make me take apart ALL my LH cars to find an AC amp. Is the difference really all that?

justinr54321
04-25-2012, 11:43 PM
this thread is gonna make me take apart ALL my LH cars to find an AC amp. Is the difference really all that?

Lol @ the talking all your LH cars apart. And it is, for what I understand, the AC electronic design was more stable than the others, and some other things as well I don't remember...

rknapp
04-26-2012, 12:18 AM

If you mean the ones you own... none in the list in your signature will have it. It was only on the LHS (98-01) and Concorde Limited (02-04). I've gotten a few from 99-02s of those models.

fromans4
04-26-2012, 01:44 AM
The initial post for this thread includes this statement -

4760 688AC Available in the 99-01 LHS as well as the 02+ Concorde Limited but with revisions AD and AE (I need to get my hands on these) There was also an AB version which would be EXTREMELY rare as it is only listed in the 98 parts catalog.

I read through the thread and never found any reference to anyone having tried AE version of this amp, so I was hoping maybe I had a good thing or at the very least an un-tried version. But it sounds like you have at least heard of some experience with this amp and that it is not as good as the AC version.

That being said, I think your suggestion to create the wire harness extension and get the system working with the amp I bought makes sense. Then if I decide to replace it with the AC version, I assume I would just have to unplug one and replace it with the other.

Thanks for the input.

Adpros
04-26-2012, 07:28 AM
If you mean the ones you own... none in the list in your signature will have it. It was only on the LHS (98-01) and Concorde Limited (02-04). I've gotten a few from 99-02s of those models.

Before I joined the forum, I had a '99 LHS rollover that I stripped for parts to fix another. I'm almost certain I have that amp sitting in a box somewhere. So, now I won't have to rip the cars apart. Just the garage!

fromans4
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
My amp didn't come with any portion of the wiring harness. Anyone know where I can score the wire harness for the 04760 688AE?

Sneke_Eyez
04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
My amp didn't come with any portion of the wiring harness. Anyone know where I can score the wire harness for the 04760 688AE?

Easiest place to get it is from a junkyard car. Cut as much of the harness that runs into the trunk as you can, then create the rest of the harness yourself with wire from the dash to the trunk. This is what I've done for all 3 of my cars. I MAY have a wiring harness hanging around at my parents house, or at the very least some plugs, but I am not sure the next time I will be there to check and see for you.

fromans4
04-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks, that would be great. In the meantime I will check some of the local junkyards.

Adpros
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
So, I decided to make a bit of room in the garage and:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9948567/Amplifier/2012-05-06%2015.05.24a.jpg

Also looked for one of those amps. Does this one ring a bell?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9948567/Amplifier/2012-05-06%2015.05.39a.jpg

It's got a 6 inch or so harness chopped.:walkman:

kuuki
09-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi I have a chrysler 300m with ab amp, and now for ten years i have been driving around with bad sound at front. When you sit in normal driving position there is no bass, but if you lean towards wheel more bass will come. At rear seats everything is good.
What should i do to solve my problem?`
Thanks.

justinr54321
09-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi I have a chrysler 300m with ab amp, and now for ten years i have been driving around with bad sound at front. When you sit in normal driving position there is no bass, but if you lean towards wheel more bass will come. At rear seats everything is good.
What should i do to solve my problem?`
Thanks.

From what you have described, you need to replace your front speakers.

jacobmspecial
09-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I ordered new front speakers for my M last week and they should come in on Monday. I had the 300 AC amp and just recently bought an LHS AC amp and the difference was astounding. I could actually turn up the music louder than an "easy listening" level. I'm assuming that new speakers is what you need. Make sure to get Infinity brand ones or the like, because they need to be 2 ohm or it won't sound good AT ALL.

killi
09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I had the same experience upgrading to the LHS AC amp. Just sounds better

kuuki
09-16-2012, 06:15 PM
But can't there be a phase problem? Something is not correctly wired because the problem is been since i bought the car in 2002.

jacobmspecial
09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I messed around with crossing the wires and it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. I found that it was sending too much midbass to my front woofers and was making them buzz. There is a problem with some of the amps in LH cars, ie I had bad solder joints in mine that caused it to sound the way it did.

debo
09-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the LHS AC amp mentioned above? After reading this thread, I'm thinking upgrade!

jacobmspecial
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
4760688ac

debo
09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
4760688ac

Thanks man! There is one on Ebay from a 99 LHS. I have an 02 300M. I know the radios have different harnesses, do you know if the amps do too? $55 shipped, seems reasonable.

Thanks again for the P/N.

jacobmspecial
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
The harnesses are totally plug and play. I put one from a 99 LHS in my 02 special and it just plugged right in. TOTALLY transformed my sound system!!!

debo
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweet! Just purchased one from Ebay. Should be here by weeks end. Can't wait!!! But I do need to replace those 6x9's.....considering they are factory and 10 years old I bet some new Alpines would sound awesome! I'll have to look in to them and some new fronts for the doors.

Thanks again for your help!

jacobmspecial
09-16-2012, 09:26 PM
The ones I got in the front are the Infinity Reference 6032CF. I'll let you know how they sound, they were only 60 for the pair.

hrmwrm
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
you need to be careful what you put in. as the system is 2 ohm. 4 ohm won't hurt, but it will take more volume to drive them the same, so all speakers will be louder than the 4 ohm speakers. 2 ohm will keep the system more balanced.

jacobmspecial
09-17-2012, 05:17 PM
One thing I forgot to add. I added bass blockers to all of the woofers because I have a small subwoofer in the back. That also helps eliminate distortion.

Foxden Vixen
10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I really am getting new speakers for my front doors now. I have been waiting and waiting and will finally pull the trigger. I found these at cartoys.com. http://cartoys.com/products/product_technical.cfm/Infinity/Infinity_Reference_4032cf_4_Inch_105_Watt_Two_Way_ Loudspeaker. The left speaker is now vibrating so I will be replacing both. Is there anything special that I have to buy to install these? My husband says he can do it but I am not sure these are "plug and play".

SilverSpecial6.1
10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Those are not plug and play nor are they the correct size for the front doors. You need at least 6 1/2" speakers for the front doors.

Foxden Vixen
10-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Silly me....grabbed the wrong link - http://cartoys.com/products/product.cfm/Infinity/Infinity_Referance_REF6032SI_6_5_inch_2_Way_Speake r

SilverSpecial6.1
10-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Those will work just fine! Not plug and play, you need to make a harness from the existing connector and then hook up to the new speaker.

Foxden Vixen
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Hmmm might be better having it professionally done then.

fromans4
10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Just a word of advice. Just because you have the job professionally done doesn't mean they will install the speakers using the factory harness. You would probably have to request this and possibally even show them an example of what you meam. Here is a link to another members post who used this method for installing his front door speakers. It is not that it is hard to do, it is just not necesarily common practice.

http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?14597-Front-door-speaker-install-(w-pics)

Good idea though, makes it really easy to revert back to factory if you need to.

Good Luck,

Brent -

Foxden Vixen
11-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Well bought the speakers and was going to have them installed for $175 but the husband had a fit and said I was being ripped off. He wants to install them. He thinks he can just change out the speakers. BTW, I think I ended up with the wrong ones. I just want to make sure. http://cartoys.com/products/product.cfm/Infinity/Infinity_Reference_5030CS_5_1_4_Inch_2_Way_Compone nt_System
They show that they DON'T fit my car when I plug in all the stuff on the site. I don't have a standard system. It is the 11 speaker in 9 location premium system. Are these the right ones? Could someone go out to the cartoys site and pick Infinitys that will work for me? I don't care if they are component on not. I am not sure our systems are component anyway. Please help!

Foxden Vixen
11-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Well went back and exchanged them for the Reference 6500cx. The tech explained that the door panels have to be removed and the twitters have to be used in the sail enclosures or there will be nothing coming out of them. I really feel my husband does not know what he is doing. He still thinks he can just unplug the stock speakers and plug these in. Can someone put instructions of how this will have to be done so that I can show him....please? Thanks.

300maximilien
11-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Vixen the easiest fix for your issue is to find yourself a set of 6 1/2" 2 ohm Mid Bass Speakers. Door panels DO NOT need to come off. All you have to do is pull the mesh off. Unless your tweeters are blown don't bother replacing them

hrmwrm
11-18-2012, 01:34 AM
not too hard. the wires are color coded for each speaker. red/reddish stripes are the + wires, the black striped are the - wires. cut the connector, leaving just enough wire to reconnect back to the factory plug. (1" or so).
if using the component speakers, ignore their crossover and hook directly to factory wires. frequencies are already crossed over at the amp. as said, door panels don't need to be romoved, just the grill. it has to be removed to take off the door panels anyways.

Foxden Vixen
11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I just looked at the specs for the 6500cx. They are 3(THREE!!!!) ohm. OMG. I am starting to hate Car Toys. I want to stick with Infinity as I want the system to stay as close to factory as possible. I can order online but I want to make sure I am getting the correct speakers. Both door speakers are vibrating because the rubber has separated from the speaker. Nothing wrong with the wiring or anything else. The tweeters are fine. Can someone please post speakers that would be an easy swap with what I have but still be Infinitys? I found these at Amazon.com but it says that 6.5s don't fit my car. http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6032cf-6-5-Inch-High-Performance/dp/B002BZFSYA/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y. Yet the breakdown at the beginning of this thread says we have 6.5s in the doors. My husband measured what is in there and they are 6.5s. I am SOOOOOO confused. Car Toys does have the 6032cf in stock so I can exchange them out IF they will be an easy exchange with what we have. Take the mesh off, unscrew the speaker, take it out, take new speaker, hook up wires, screw it on, replace the mesh and we are good to go. Will this be as simple as that? I know I am a pain but I just want to be able to turn my music back up and have it going to all speakers instead of focusing it to the back speakers as I have to do at this time because of the vibrating. You guys are much more technical than I am when it comes to this. I know computers and how to build those....not replace speakers in a car!

Sneke_Eyez
11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Our doors have 6.75'' speakers in them, thats why Amazon says they won't fit.
You can fit 6.5s in the doors without too much trouble, and those References are a fine choice. I personally have 6.5'' Infinity Kappas in my LHs and I love them.
6.5'' speakers are easy to find, though they do make 6.75'' Infinity Speakers as well.
As far as the installation, yep, you've got it down completely.

Foxden Vixen
11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I just called Car Toys to see if they had the 6032CFs in stock. They don't and said it was last year's model. They have the 6502IXs. Looking those up it says they are 3 ohm. I will return the speakers I got from Car Toys, get my money back and order the CFs from Amazon as long as everyone agrees that my husband can just swap them out without a bunch of trouble of removing the door panels and rewiring, etc. Thanks to everyone for all your patience and help.

300maximilien
11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
if you are running OEM system with no add on amps then just toss these in and be done with it....

$49 shipped for the pair

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6032si-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B002C8AFEE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Foxden Vixen
11-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks Max. They are actually a little bit cheaper than the other ones. Looks good. I will return the Car Toys speakers and order those! Thanks again to everyone! Wish us luck! I want to crank my music again!

300maximilien
11-18-2012, 03:14 PM
oh and here is proof pudding...

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3V86VBVXLKJ6R/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002C8AFEE&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

I'm more than satisfied with these Infinity Reference speakers. I installed them in the front doors of my '02 Chrysler 300M to replace the ones that had torn suspension material and they completely tranformed the sound! The tweeters serve no purpose because the cross-over unit on my amp doesn't allow the high frequencies to get through but the mid and low frequencies complement my rear drivers.

Foxden Vixen
11-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Well I decided to try to install them myself. Got the mesh pieces off. pulled out the factory Infinity speaker and it has a black plug in section for the wiring. The new speaker (6032si) has a flat piece that looks like the wires have to be soldered to it? The instructions just show separate wires + and -. I then have to take the included foam and add that. Take the round piece of foam and attach that to the plastic housing for the speakers. Then add more foam to the plastic housing. Then slide all parts together and install from that point. This is NOT an easy install for a beginner. The husband is procrastinating and I just want it done! I also am looking at all parts included. I have 2 of the round foam pieces, 2 of the plastic housing pieces, 2 speakers, 1 roll of strip foam and then 2 of something that I am not sure I got. There were 2 pieces of plastic sitting on top of the speakers in the box with #61-8263-04 if that means anything to anyone. It seems that there should be some sort of wiring adapter but there isn't. Help?

hrmwrm
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
you will need to cut the plug from the wires and add crimp connectors to slide on the spots where you think they solder to. you will have the same coloured wires at each speaker. the one with the black stripe is -, and the red stripe +. (i forget the actual colours per door. just worry about the stripes.)
the plastic rings screw in place in the factory holes, then the speakers screw to them. the factory speaker screws are used to mount the rings to the door. the foam can be used on the back of the speaker, where it meets the plastic adapter.
this should get you started.

greyrock
04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks man! There is one on Ebay from a 99 LHS. I have an 02 300M. I know the radios have different harnesses, do you know if the amps do too? $55 shipped, seems reasonable.

Thanks again for the P/N.

Hi all, so the best AMP to find is 4760 688AC? What is the year range of this Amp? 2000-2004? LHS only?
I have several yards in my area where I know I can find one of these bad boys for my 02 Intrepid ES with the 240 watt amp.
I'll make the extension harness myself or pull most of it from the donor vehicle.

Thanks!

paintballdude05
04-07-2013, 12:47 PM
'99 LHS is all they came in IRC.

SilverSpecial6.1
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
The LHS from 99-01 had the Ac amp

rpgoodkin
05-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Interesting! Thank you.

I own, since 2004, a 2002 Concorde Limited ProAm in which I replaced the original AM-FM-cassette head unit with an RB4 nav unit. I also installed a factory Sirius tuner and multiplexer to allow use with an OEM six disc CD changer. I have been delighted with the sound.

I recently purchased a 2004 300M with 14K miles, which came with the AM-FM-cassette head unit and a six disc changer. The sound is muddy and far inferior to the 2002 Concorde Limited. I replaced the original AM-FM-cassette head unit with an RB1 nav unit, and added a Sirius Stratus with an FM modulator, none of which improved the really poor sound from the factory system.

So, I guess I need to find the LHS AC amp? Would that fix the disappointing sound from the 2004 factory system?

jacobmspecial
05-23-2013, 07:25 AM
What amp do you currently have?

rpgoodkin
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
When I get an hour or two I will check the part numbers on the 2002 Concord Ltd and on the 2004 300M and post here. Probably not until next week. I will have to read the service manual to see how to access them. I'm thinking of swapping the amps, assuming that they are different part numbers, to see if that fixes the muddy sound in the 300M.

jacobmspecial
05-23-2013, 11:05 AM
The 300 M amp takes 2 seconds to gto, just pull back the carpet in the right side of the trunk wall. It's an 04 so I doubt it has the dreaded 902AC amp that came in my 02. Your best bet would be the LHS amp, it sounds nd works best with the speakers, in my opinion.

rpgoodkin
05-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Not what I was expecting. My 2002 Concorde has the mid-level amp which is tucked under the right side of the instrument panel. And I'm more than satisfied with the sound.

The 2004 300M has, in the trunk on the right fender well, the 04760902AD (Infinity 36670) amp. The sound can only be described as muddy. If I get the 04760688AC amp will it be a plug and play swap? Should I expect audibly (as opposed to imperceptibly) better sound?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Richard

jacobmspecial
05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Swap is totally plug and play. I went from the "worst of the worst" to the "best of the best", so the difference for me was very immediate. You will probably notice a difference too. The lows won't be so muddy and the highs will be more prominent and crisp. I can definitely recommend the swap.

rpgoodkin
05-23-2013, 04:49 PM
OK, so I have ordered the 04760688AC amp and I hope that will make the difference.

If any of you are looking for this same amp at a good price, you can find it at:

$30 plus $15 shipping Morris Auto USA-MN(Morris) E-mail 1-800-418-1978 / 1-320-589-1978.

rpgoodkin
05-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Also,

"The amp you need will Be $60.00 shipped to you. Please contact me when you
are ready to order it. It has a 30 day warranty.

Thank you

Ralph E. Dawson

Patterson Auto Wrecking
1973 Old Highway 322
Cochranton Pa. 16314
Toll free 800-822-2028 Ext. 9107
Fax 814-425-1110"

greyrock
05-27-2013, 10:41 AM
I have the 04760688AC from a 01 LHS and the harness. I pulled the connectors off my 240 watt amp (02 Intrepid ES) in the kick panel and plugged in the LHS amp. It sounded better, good enough for me to want to swap it, extend the harness and mount the amp to the back of the back seat, I'm up for that. My problem is the Intrepid has no rear door speakers so the Intrepid 6x9's are only getting bass from the LHS amp. I'll need to figure out how to modify the crossover in the amp or grab the speakers and possibly the door panels from the donor LHS still in the junkyard and install them in my Intrepid. Any thoughts on this? Will the door panels even fit?

SilverSpecial6.1
05-27-2013, 11:36 AM
The door panels need to be extended to fit on the intrepid. What I did with my intrepid was put a set of tweeters in the rear shelf connected to the rear door speakers. I extended the wires to the rear shelf to get sound there

rpgoodkin
05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
The 04760688AC amp arrived today. Easy swap in the 2004 300M for the original amp. Quite a difference - sound is much crisper, and higher volumes don't seem to phase this system now.

Kudos and thanks to SilverSpecial6.1!!! I was contemplating major surgery on the sound system.

Now I have to figure out how to get decent sound out of my 2005 Montego (with the high-end factory sound system, including navigation) without major surgery.