PDA

View Full Version : Damn tan carpet... Need some carpet cleaning advice

FollowingNFront
02-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Ok first off, I have already searched :thmsup:.... Didn't find what I was looking for.

My tan carpeted interior is terrible in the upstate NY winter with all the salt and crap... I have All-weather Honda Accord floormats, but apparently they don't do much because the carpet all around my floor is stained AND I took my floormats out today and found that the carpet directly underneath was damp as well.

So I decided that I may want to get the WeatherTech digital floormats for the front. $118 shipped is kinda steep for me right now, but I feel that it is waaay worth it...

So, I bought a TurtleWax Carpet cleaner tonight from Walmart to get the damn crappy stains out of my tan carpet... I used it tonight and so far it seems that it may work, but since it was kinda dark when I used it, I will not know how it came out until tomorrow...

MY QUESTION IS: Should the TurtleWax Carpet cleaner get rid of my carpet stains? All my previous cars had black carpets so I never really had to deal with stains such as this before... Should the average carpet cleaner like TurtleWax take care of minor/moderate salt/slush stains out of a tan carpet?

Thanks

Chief Brody
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't know much about this product, but have generally found most Turtle Wax products to be at the lower end of the performance/quality spectrum.

I have had good results with Resolve carpet cleaner. It is not auto specific, but works very well on small stains.

Another option is to wait until spring and remove the carpet from the vehicle. Carefully power wash it and let it dry completely before re-installing. Not sure if you want to go that way.

beeblebrox82
02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
get one of these, it works like a champ: It's what I use and It gets carpets squeaky clean!!

http://webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/15-green-vacuum-cleaner.jpg

Sneke_Eyez
02-06-2010, 12:46 AM
The Bissell Little Green is a pretty sweet machine indeed, but, is a bit pricey.

What I'd suggest is this:
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/198844/200.JPG
It is called Tuff Stuff, and it is the BEST Upholstery Cleaner I've ever used.
Its available at WalMart and I've seen it at some Advance Auto Parts stores.
Its relatively cheap, but you'll want at least two cans if you've got bad stains.

Once you've got it, foam up the carpet with it and then grab an old towel and SCRUB those stains. It'll take them right out.
Usually, in the case of auto carpet, I'll: Vacuum, spray the foam, let sit, scrub out the stains, vacuum again, then respray the foam, allow to soak into carpet

It works VERY VERY well, so much so that I've got my mom using it all over our house.
Shes even managed to get it to take off old stains from our carpet that she thought would be there forever.

mnitetrain
02-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Was carpet damp before door repair or is this since door repair??

FollowingNFront
02-06-2010, 03:39 AM
The Bissell Little Green is a pretty sweet machine indeed, but, is a bit pricey.

What I'd suggest is this:
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/198844/200.JPG
It is called Tuff Stuff, and it is the BEST Upholstery Cleaner I've ever used.
Its available at WalMart and I've seen it at some Advance Auto Parts stores.
Its relatively cheap, but you'll want at least two cans if you've got bad stains.

Once you've got it, foam up the carpet with it and then grab an old towel and SCRUB those stains. It'll take them right out.
Usually, in the case of auto carpet, I'll: Vacuum, spray the foam, let sit, scrub out the stains, vacuum again, then respray the foam, allow to soak into carpet

It works VERY VERY well, so much so that I've got my mom using it all over our house.
Shes even managed to get it to take off old stains from our carpet that she thought would be there forever.
Thanks alot... If the TurtleWax carpet cleaner doesnt work, I will pick up some Tuff Stuff tomorrow! I will post my findings on how the TurtleWax cleaner did when I wake up.

Was carpet damp before door repair or is this since door repair??
Well, that is a tricky question, because when the accident happened, I was in NYC mostly where the weather wasn't that bad and there was NO snow out and I wasn't tracking much nastiness into the car with me...

But right before/after the repair, I was upstate with my car, and it was snowing constantly; So ever since the repair I have been tracking in salt, slush, snow, and grime EVERYtime I get into the car.

I would loooove to believe that it is only because of the elements that this is happening, and I honestly hope it is...

But I will say this, under my driver's seat is dry, and on the side of my driver's seat is dry to my recollection. Pretty much the spots where I directly put my feet is what gets wet.

I do know that I will closely monitor how wet/dry my carpet gets from now on... I actually have my factory carpeted floormat, then a sheet that covers the whole area in front of my seat, and then the rubber floormat on top of the sheet, so if somehow my carpet gets wet under ALL THAT, then Ill know that I have a problem. I sincerely hope that is not the case

Junkman2008
02-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Here's the deal with carpet cleaning that people who don't clean carpets for a living don't know. The Turtle Was and Tuff Stuff products are the worst thing that you can use on your car's carpet if you have no way of extracting the soap! The worst thing you can do to carpet (and clothing too) is use soap to clean them, but not extract the soap. This causes more dirt to be attracted to the material and the carpet will get dirtier much faster. If you do not have a carpet cleaning machine, you do not want to use a soapy product like the ones mentioned in this thread. You need to use a product that cleans without soap. Now I know that sounds kinda crazy but there are carpet cleaning products on the market that actually work this way.

The technical way that these products work has something to do with their non-surfactant technology. I won't bore you with the details of how it works, I'll just tell you that you need a carpet cleaner that has this chemical makeup. The Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-35-adams-carpet-upholstery-cleaner.aspx) is one of those products. I was amazed at the fact that something that doesn't contain soap works as well as it does. I had to see it to believe it. I too have tan interior and know how hard it is to keep clean. This stuff works wonders.

I bought the expensive Lloyd's mats that have the dimples which catch water and debris and keep it from getting to the carpet. The price really wasn't that bad; I think they were around $50 and they make them for all types of cars. They are well worth the money. Here are the mats.

http://www.pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/tonya.jpg

That combination is what keeps my carpet clean.

FollowingNFront
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Oh, I forgot to update... Thanks Sneke Eyez... I used the Tuff Stuff, and the carpet is as tan as tan gets...

Only ~$4 too! Can't beat it.

Thanks Junkman for the advice on the floormats, but I think I am going to buy Weathertech Digital liner floormats. They look like they have the best coverage.
http://www.weathertech.com/ebay_photos/big/450601.jpg

W3ap0n-X
02-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Few rules on carpet cleaning. Junkman hit on the details about the need for extraction.

The REAL problem comes from getting carpet too wet. If you do not get carpet dry fast enough the moisture inside of it will actually take all of the dirt that is embedded deep within the pile and "wick" it to the surface...so while it's wet it will look beautiful and clean and you'll come out the next morning and find yourself staring at dingy, nasty carpet.

Also...watch out for rubber floor mats. Something about rubber floor mats (something about they fumes they give off) can turn carpet a brown color. So if you have light gray or tan carpet you'll notice them become a dingy brown...similar to nicotine stains. Once this stain is in your carpet, there is NO WAY to remove it...short of redyeing the carpet.

You can extract with a shop-vac...but you must use very little moisture and you must make sure to extract as much moisture as possible and then aim a fan or air mover at the carpet and leave the windows open for it to dry as fast as possible.

Junkman2008
02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Oh, I forgot to update... Thanks Sneke Eyez... I used the Tuff Stuff, and the carpet is as tan as tan gets...

Only ~$4 too! Can't beat it.

Thanks Junkman for the advice on the floormats, but I think I am going to buy Weathertech Digital liner floormats. They look like they have the best coverage.
http://www.weathertech.com/ebay_photos/big/450601.jpg

Those look nice!

dagreatestjay33
03-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Wondering if this product is a good idea. Was told that it leaves carpet wet and may not pull out all water. Is this true?

Junkman2008
03-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Wondering if this product is a good idea. Was told that it leaves carpet wet and may not pull out all water. Is this true?

It is not the water that you are worried about, it is the soap. See my earlier post.